Problem with BMW running rough, may need service shop - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JMagio is on a distinguished road
Problem with BMW running rough, may need service shop

I am new to the forum. I am looking for a BMW shop that can do a diagnostic on my car. I live on Long Island (New York)

Here is a little run down of what's happening.
I start the car and drive for 5 to 10 minutes and the car runs fantastic, after around 5-10 minutes the car losses power and runs very rough. I can still drive how ever I have significant loss of power, if I try to give it gas it seems to bog down, from a dead stop it may stall it may not.

I have researched this problem and found many people on this and other forums stating the same issue and replacing part after part with no resolution. I now find myself in the same boat.

To start I ran the BMW on board diagnostic and I received a 1444 code which should mean no error reported similarly I never receive any check engine lights.
I tested the crank and cam sensor with an Ohm meter, the Ohms readings on both were below the minimum they should be according to the Bentley service manual, so I replaced them. I have also replaced the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs (with Bosch +4 platinum's as per the service manual). I have checked and replaced every required fuse. I have also cleaning the MAF sensor, ICV, and upper intake manifold.

This has not resolved the issue and I don't want to go any further without better understanding the problem. If anyone has had this issue or knows of a BMW service station I can get diagnostic's performed it would be greatly appreciated.
JMagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1989 BMW 535i
Photos:
rivroshaun951 is on a distinguished road
I am not a Professional. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

These are the hardest types of problems to diagnose without actually seeing the car. My first thought would be to just take it in to a shop so they can perform a road test. However this is a do it yourself form so here are some other things you might want to check if you have not.

Since your problem has to do with after the car warms up. Let's think about a few things that come on line.

1. Thermostat (Why? because it can effect 02 sensor and transmission operation)
2. 02 sensor (Why? After the car is warm this is what the PCM uses to control A/F)
3. TCC operation (Why? This might not be an engine problem at all).
4. MAF don't just clean it. Test it for proper operation.
5. Any type of vacuum leaks.
6. EGR (this should have tripped a code but hey who knows
7. Fuel pressure test (you change the filter but is your pump good.

I mean the list could go and go and go. Like I said very hard to diagnose without seeing and road testing the vehicle. Just try and think of components that are responsible for driveability after warm up.
rivroshaun951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)