Price Quotes on Differential Seal, Tie Rod and Timing Gaskets.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chaosbunny is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Price Quotes on Differential Seal, Tie Rod and Timing Gaskets..

I had my oil changed at the dealership today and several things happened

1)they noticed I have fluid leaking out of the differential in the rear, and they noted that the "Imput shaft seal" is the root of the problem and to have that replaced they quoted me $282.25 (labor included)
is this price reasonable, and how much of a problem is this leak

2)they say i need a new tie rod and alignment doen which they are quoting at $301.93 .. i get teh feeling this isnt all that urgent at all but what does it mean?

3)i need new timing cover gaskets which will set me back $840! the service rep told me that this is not necessaraly that important as along as i keep an eye on my oil levels (so that any leaking does not get excessive) .. i plan on not having this fixed and keeping an eye on my oil levels to insure that the problem does not get out of hand....is that a dumb move?

....thanks for all the help on this guys .. i really need it

1992 318i, Jet Black, Manual
Sirius Satellite Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
1: important.. if you run out of diff fluid, your rear end ciezes, your wheels lock, you flip, you roll, you die.
.. might be time to simply upgrade to a higher # rear end from ebay or something, give the car a lil more pep in its step

2: somewhat important, if they told you to replace it its probably getting near the time to replace it but just watch the ball join on the tie rod, and make sure it still has some lubrication on it, when it gets dirty and dry, its time to replace it

3: just top off your oil.. when you have the money to replace it, or when it becomes too annoying to not do something about it, then do it.

#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Chaosbunny is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
question:
is it safe to drive my car for the next week or so before getting the diff fixed?or is that taking a risk..

1992 318i, Jet Black, Manual
Sirius Satellite Radio
#4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
well, as long as you have gear oil in it thats fine, usually takes a long while for that kind of leak to run you dry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)