Power window Problems! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
foxrace8 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Power window Problems!

I have a 93 325is and i'm having some problems with the driver side power window. When i try and roll it up it will stop part way and then go back down about a half inch and stop. When i try it again it goes back up that half inch and then back down... Over and over again. It doesn't always stop at the same spot. Sometimes it's at the top sometimes the bottom. I just have to keep rolling it all the way down and trying over again untill it finally goes up. Any ideas on what it could be? Seems electrical...

Oh and it happens alot more when its cold out. On a hot sunny day in the middle of the day it doesn't really do it.

?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Only happens when its cold weather............. So it must be down to moisture in the electrical department, take off the door card, check all the connections for corrosion our water ingress, spray all contacts with contact cleaner, then spray all wiring with WD40.

Apart from the above, might be a sticky motor that only plays up when cold ,but it goes half way up so I doubt it.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Only happens when its cold weather............. So it must be down to moisture in the electrical department, take off the door card, check all the connections for corrosion our water ingress, spray all contacts with contact cleaner, then spray all wiring with WD40.

Apart from the above, might be a sticky motor that only plays up when cold ,but it goes half way up so I doubt it.
Thanks for the tips. I guess it doesn't ONLY do it when its cold. Yesterday it did it a couple times during the day. (It was about 78 degrees) And when i say cold its not really cold, it just doesn't do it as much when its 80-90 out.
Still think it could be moisture?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

chinonca is on a distinguished road
You most likely have a bad window regulator.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinonca View Post
You most likely have a bad window regulator.
Thanks chinonca. Any way to test to know for sure?

Actually i just looked it up, i was thinking the regulator was an electrical part, but its not. I really don't think its the regulator because it does go up and down. Just sometimes it stops while im rolling it up and then goes back down a half inch. Never any noises. Seems electrical to me.

Last edited by foxrace8; 09-20-2008 at 10:27 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrace8 View Post
Thanks chinonca. Any way to test to know for sure?

Actually i just looked it up, i was thinking the regulator was an electrical part, but its not. I really don't think its the regulator because it does go up and down. Just sometimes it stops while im rolling it up and then goes back down a half inch. Never any noises. Seems electrical to me.
It also sounds like a window motor on its way out. Either way, you can start buy taking off the interior door panel, unplug the window motor & check the connector for corrosion & then power with a 12v test light.....you most likely will have power....if it is corroded clean & reinstall plug to motor, work the window up & down & watch & listen to the regulator......if the regulator is bad. it will make noise & slip.....you will see flat mental arms that are geared into a track that attaches to the window......good luck
Here are some links that might help you....

click on link below, then read posts & click on attached images...
Window Motor Repair W/pics - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

u n d e r s t e e r . c o m

Search results for 325is window motor in Car & Truck Parts & Accessories

johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 09-20-2008 at 11:56 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
The Bimmerforum link actually came from the Bimmer DIY site in the seats & doors section: BMW E36 DIY (Do It Yourself)

#8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:28 AM
n00b

M40man is on a distinguished road
Hey i was having this problem with my window. I think it stops and reverse's bescuase it is a safty feature. If the window senses to much presure it will reverse. I found the problem with my window was a broken little white plastic slide retainer. i replace this and the window still seemed like it was catching on something. i found that the rubber seal that outlines the window frame was catching the window by the side mirror. all i did was used alittle WD40 around the rubber seal and wiped away the excess and its all better now.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:41 PM
n00b

fuzbox is on a distinguished road
This happens on both my windows so I took of the door panel and greased everything and it goes up from time to time now. I have just got into the habbit of using the safety bypass. Just press the button down and then if you push harded you will feel it click again, keep it pressed and the window will go all the way up. Not the real answer but the motor and safety switch seem to be in the same unit so not cheap to replace.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Sounds about right, I have to hard double press mine to get them to auto go up but after the 2nd hard press i let go and the window continues to closed position.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 PM
n00b

cooldude6900 is on a distinguished road
mine did this all the time the problem being the rubber seals around the window and stoping the window every now and then all i did was took the seals of gave them a good clean and smeared a bit of washing up liquid on them done the job worked fine since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)