BMW Werkz banner

Power Window Problem

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Honolulu 
#1 ·
Today my windows were able to go down, then i went to school and tryed to make them go all the way up, and it would not fully go up. I tried and tried but eventually the window was just stuck in the middle(could not go either way). After school my freinds helped to pull the window up, while i pushed the power window button. We thought it did not work but finanly after i closed my doors to give up, on this hopeless mission, the windows came up! I want to know the cause of this and how to fix it. Also, since it is up should i risk ever opening the window again before it is fixed?

Thanks

#4 ·
i don't think it's your motor.. it probably fell off the track getting misaligned somehow... just open the panel (easy), see what u got... and go from there....
should take 10 minutes at the most....
btw, u may want to order some new grommets, those things break easily if not careful when realigning the panel back

#5 ·
You say windows though...

Do you mean all of them or just one? If its just one, I second the track alignment. Worst case the the entire control arm broke, but that generally results in the window falling and not being ble to hold itself up.

#8 ·
Ok here is the deal, I replaced the sliders and lubed everything but i'm still haveing this trouble. The window goes down fine and on its way up it will jerk and stop. In order for it to go up i must push the button several times. Sometimes the window will go all the way up with no problem but rarely. When i close my door the chances of it getting all the way up is lower then if i open my door and try. Also that grey thing at the end of the motor gets pretty hot.

Could this be some connecting circuit causeing the window failure? Is my motor broken? How do i tell if its on track?

Thanks

#9 ·
have a friend help u out on this one.. as two sets of eyes are always better then one...
open the other side so u can see a known good working system....
that should give u a lot of questions to your answers.....
make sure u order the connecting grommets for the panel... as they have a tendency to break on reinstall.. their very cheap at the dealer....

#12 ·
my windows will stop and go down an inch when i try to close them. at first i just tapped the button alot and it that worked (but looked stupid). then i found that if i just held the button down, they would go the whole way up....

i should get this fixed one day, but it's just a small inconvenience...

#14 ·
Jerky window operation suggests the window is binding on the guide track. If you're lucky, lubricating the track will restore proper function. This assumes the white plastic clips which secure the window regulator arms to the guide track at the bottom of the window glass are okay. If not, their failure is a common window problem and they are easily ordered and installed.

the 1995 'vert I was just given turns out to be missing both white clips on the passenger door window. They are not expensive, I got mine (two plus an extra) from FCP Groton. I was pretty sure the window had been messed with when I saw fragments of the old clip in the trunk. Sure enough...

If not lucky, I don't want to think about messing with the tracks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.