Power Window- motor with broken teeth? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
maxslomoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Window- motor with broken teeth?

hello everyone.

today they rolled my window down at the shop and it won't roll back up. i've had this problem for a long time - it seems that the mechanism usually works to roll the window down, but some how it gets stuck and won't roll back up. you can hear the clickclickclickclickclick of the motor turning against something but not moving it. if i pull up on the regulator to give it some help, it seems to catch and the window rolls up.

i think there is a problem in the connection between the motor and the regulator gears. the regulator seems to move fine and i can hear the motor turning.

any ideas on what the problem could be? do you know if the motor gear is made of plastic or metal?

thanks a lot for your insight,
max
maxslomoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
Dirty Martini is on a distinguished road
It so happens I'm looking at one of my old window motors (I have this obsession with keeping old broke parts off of my car, kinda like saving your kid's teeth, I can't bear to throw them away) and the gear is metal.

I imagine it's possible that one of the screws that holds the motor to the regulator assembly has worked itself loose or has fallen out, causing the motor gear to bounce against the regulator gear instead of meshing fully. Best to pull the inner door panel off and have a look. It's doubtful you have broken gear teeth because they're metal.
Dirty Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
i love dirty martinis.

thanks for the reply. i have the leather panel and the foam sheet taken off. its not possible to dissasemble the door any more with out taking out the motor is it? and thats a pain, because the motor is held in by rivets right?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
yes its held in by rivets, to take the motor off you need to drill the rivets out, its a pain but if thats the root cause than yes you have to. i assume the glass and the platform the glass is on is all intacked and not off the track right? its very common for the actual glass to come off the track or bind up, just make sure there are no restrictions,
next i would (with the door pannel off) use the window switch to see if you can actually visualy pinpoint the cause of your clicking.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bob318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bob318
i had a problume with my regulator so i got it fixed and it broke the next week. The seal on the outside of the window keeps getting sucked behind the glass and then it breaks the regulator when i try to roll it down. Its really frustrating. Does anyone else have this problume?
bob318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
thank you furious-

i have had the panel off for a few days now, studying the window. the glass is definitely in the track and there don't seem to be restrictions. when i roll the window down and it stops, the first thing i hear is the clicking and i don't see any bump or jolt that would indicate the window is getting stuck in the tracks.

the clicking is definitely coming from where the motor meets the regulator. upon closer inspection of the regulator gear teeth, i notices a small groove seems to have been cut down all the middle of the regulator teeth. i suspect this is not natural. the motor does appear to be firmly attached to the regulator, as dirty martini pointed out.

just now when i was out there fooling around with it the motor went out on me. it would roll the window down, but not roll it back up farther than one inch. the motor will work for a second but then quit, no clicking no nothing.

i was going to take out the assemnly right then and there but i'm not prepared yet..

is it best to drill out the rivets? or hammer them out? the inside of the rivet is curved so it doesn't provide a nice seat for the drill bit which bounces arround some what, should i procede with this? or should i hammer them out?

also, i assume i can use pop rivets to re-attach the assembly. is this correct? all i have in terms of rivet work is a pop rivet gun.

there are four rivets around the motor and then one black rivet that attaches the frame of the assebly to a track which extends to the inside of the door frame where it is held in by a screw on the other side - what do i do about this track?

thanks a lot for your time.
max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)