Possible Suspension Problem? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Driverk is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

It seems as though everytime I go over a small dip in the road or a speed bump, my front suspension makes a horrible noise that sounds as if it is about to break apart. BTW, I have a 1996 328is. Any help would be much appreciated!
Driverk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
i would jack up my car. take my wheel off and take some pics to post up on the forum, maybe we can see what is going wrong... just a though, or maybe you can see what is going wrong.

Do you have stock suspesion of aftermarket? if its not oem maybe its hitting something if the car is to low.... maybe your shocks are going out and its depressing to far, all just thoughts

David
Old 12-20-2004, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
What kind of a noise? There are a lot of them that can be different problems...If you can better explain the noise, we can help you a little better. Also...how has the car been riding? Is it wobbly or bumpier or anything like that? Any shaking, etc?

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
BlantonG13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Driverk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BlantonG13@Dec 20 2004, 02:43 PM
What kind of a noise? There are a lot of them that can be different problems...If you can better explain the noise, we can help you a little better. Also...how has the car been riding? Is it wobbly or bumpier or anything like that? Any shaking, etc?
[snapback]254834[/snapback]

It still has the stock suspension. It sounds like a rough, scratching, screeching noise. During normal driving, there seems to be a little more 'play' in the suspension. A little more roll and dive. I am planning on upgrading to Bilstein dampers and ACS springs soon, but I'm having to spend money on tires this week and brakes at all 4 corners next week. ghead

I bought the car 2 months ago. It only had 67,000 miles on it. I'm going to start my real mods in January and I'm going to go with ACS for the majority of it.
Driverk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
New dampers and springs should make a big difference. Those just sound like wear and tear noises by the way you describe them. You may want to have all the suspension bushings checked out too. A great suspension Mod would be to have all the bushings replaced for urethane. The access rolling and "dive" you say does sound like a strut problem, like one or more of the struts may have lost compression. That could allow for some of the noises you hear. Thats some pretty good mileage for a car that old. Goodluck with your problems, welcome, and enjoy the ride!

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
BlantonG13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
yep needs struts and maybe bushings. Springs should be fine, I don't think springs ever really go bad unless driven with blown struts for a long time. Or you Can just use it as an excuse to go ahead and start your modding.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)