BMW Werkz banner

Possible fuel pump problem?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ncktuley1 
#1 ·
Dabsy (or other bmw techs) i need your knowledge.
My car ran perfectly fine today, drove about 120 miles or so and not a problem. then i go to work, car still runs fine other than the occasional icv (idle control valve) problem which will soon be fixed. then as im done with my shift, i go to start up my car and it runs for a few seconds then sputters off and dies. i try starting it again, does the same thing. then i try again and it just turns over and over and over. so i immediately think its gotta be the fuel pump cause i just filled up today. so i have a friend come pick me up and he says well lets give it a try. so i go So start it up and it runs perfectly fine? drove it home and it was fine.
now what im wondering is that could the fuel pump just be about ready to die or could the idle control vale be a causing this, which i don't think it is but it could be a possibility. I just wanna figure this little gremlin out so it wont leave me stranded again.

#2 ·
If it started fine but then cut out and died start with your ICV. Make sure that's working an clean it if nessecary. Then check all your vacuum lines or cracks or leaks. A vacuum line leak is known to cause poor and sporadic idling. When you turn the ignition on to position 1 you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming. This requires a buddy to listen while you turn it on. The fuel pump is under the rear seats.

#3 ·
Hi If you will ask me, change the fuel pump first if its not that expensive in your place, then change the fuel filter as well, if your car had run a 120,000km i suggest you replace it, icv we usuall just clean them isnt it?

vacuum leaks are to be look into too. but if its a leak it will likely pull you down, less power. but if it shuts down the engine Its fuel pump, it happens to me 2x, first the old stock pump, and then I bought a original they say from a store, it happens to be from china, it only lasted a week, so i bought a surplus and until now its all well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.