a possible clutch problem? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 07:24 AM
ex owner/admin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
(Thread Starter)
well as you know i replaced my clutch a month back. so ive been good with the car, no redlines, no hard starts off the line, now ive been giving it a little more than usual.
the problem is that it doesnt feel the same, i was once told that once you replace the clutch it will never feel the same.. now when i engage the clutch i get a little feedback in the peddle its sort of a light feedback and its on-off-on-off then it fades out, the on-off feeling is sort of like somethings not balanced,. like the syncro might be out or something. its weird.
could my driveshaft not be balanced properly? or something in the clutch assembly, ( i had a sachs replacement kit put in, so everything is new but the flywheel)

ideas guys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 08:13 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

fatty is an unknown quantity at this point
when i replaced my clutch and pressure plate, my clutch felt different, to such that i kept stalling it as the biting point was different.
Now im used to it im ok.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 09:52 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
(Thread Starter)
i dont mean different in terms of position, more in terms of feel.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:49 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

fatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Furious@Dec 19 2003, 05:32 PM
i dont mean different in terms of position, more in terms of feel.
i see, it has more bite and the car feels more perky, if thats what you mean. :lol:
#5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:54 AM
ex owner/admin

(Thread Starter)
different as in .. when i push the clutch in i get feedback, it was never there before, it is almost like the clutch is going again but i have lots of bite.

#6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:08 AM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I am gathering, you aren't complaining about slippage or a performance problem but more reverberation and chatter felt literally from the clutch pedal to your foot? Correct? If it is mild, meaning that the car isn't shaking or bucking then I would say that what you are experiencing is normal, but for alot of aftermarket clutches. However, the feedback that you and I speak of could be of complete difference. What you may be feeling, may not be exactly what I picture in my mind. So here is the jist of it. Every time that I replace a clutch, be it BMW, Ford, Chevy, stock, aftermarket or racing, I either resurface or replace the flywheel. On every BMW clutch that I ever wrote an estimate for, I inlcuded a new flywheel. The reason being exactly what I hear you describing as "feedback", most likely attributed to imperfections, cracks, material build up etc on the surface. Just the same as brake pads and discs. If you are replacing/renewing the surface of the pressure plate then why would you not do the same for the flywheel? It is engineered with the same gripping duties as the pressure plate but for different reasons. Also, aftermarket clutch kits are not always equal in quality to OEM; and by this I mean the balancing and sometimes materials are not quite up to OEM quality. So throw a little unbalanced parts on top of a "dirty" flywheel and you will always get "feedback". All in All, if you want to replicate the way it was from the factory, you have to put all the parts in like they were from the factory, *brand new*. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it unless you start noticing a lack of performance or slipping. But for future reference, either resurface or better yet replace the flywheel (if affordable of course). If you are experiencing more than just a little reverberation in the "feel of the pedal", then let me know. We might need to examine a little more; there could be other issues with yours. Sorry for the verbal diarrhea. Hope I helped!

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:37 AM
ex owner/admin

(Thread Starter)
most definately helped out, thanks extech, im not sure if the guy who eventually put my clutch in resurfaced my flywheel , i remember him saying that he was going to. what happened was i took the clutch out but had to leave to go to my other job, so an experienced tech put it in (a good tech since 1977) however its hard go gauge if i have lost performance or not because i havent really pushed my car..

either way good info thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)