PLEASE READ!! Car is heating up, But very weird.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
azmattaz06 is on a distinguished road
PLEASE READ!! Car is heating up, But very weird..

Hi guys im a newbie to this site and a new BMW owner

Ok so i have a 93 325i i just got from phoenix about 3 weeks ago and it runs great, i live in Tucson about a 100 mile difference, Car ran find no problems. Today i washed the car and took it about 5 miles over to my cousins and within 5 minutes it was starting to heat up pretty quick and usually the temp read right in the middle it doesn't move, So when i got there i popped the hood there wasn't any steaming any smells nothing, the sensor going into the side of the radiator has three wires and one was broken so i fixed it and then on my way home the temp stayed in the middle all the way until i got on my street it started moving to hot again, whats going on? the first time it heated up fast and heading home it stayed good the whole time.. what do you guys think i should do first??
azmattaz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz.

Did you wash out the engine bay when you were washing the car?
Has anything else been done to the car recently?
Does the heater blow hot air?

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the reply, I didn't wash the engine bay, But i did spray into the grill which goes straight to the fans, I also thought i might have blown a relay or fuse, Im going to check that in the morning, as for hot air no the heater doesn't work hasn't since i got the car, Any ideas? Thanks

P.S. the only other thing done to the car recently was the rear axle so other then that i haven't touched anything under the hood, I also sometimes hear what sounds like air leaking from the radiator cap..
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
yama440 is on a distinguished road
(burp the coolant system of all air if there is any... once u get the system burped fill the coolant back up 2 the full line.. if this fixes the problem the head gasket is goin bad.. it will only b a temp fix if the gasket is goin out n the problem will only worsen untill its fixed).. 1 other thing 2 check would b your thermostat... hopefully its not the head gasket though.. good luck
yama440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
SAB
n00b

Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Photos:
SAB is on a distinguished road
Yes, the thermostat is a common one.
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I unscrewed the little screwnto release any trapped air, it bubbled for a minute then just stopped no stream of water or anything.. I'm confused my car was on for awhile and the temp stayed in the middle, why would It be fine then sometimes overheat? Thermostat? I'm not getting white smoke or water
In oil so that's good
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
SAB
n00b

Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Photos:
SAB is on a distinguished road
It could be just a bad sensor
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
yama440 is on a distinguished road
highly doubt its a sensor.... yer prlly not even over heating your exhaust is prlly leakin through yer head gasket into your coolant ports n the hot pockets of air are throwin the temp sens off.. if it was thermostat it would do it all the time.. get a head gasket n get the head shaved when u do it.. u could try a thermostat n if it does it again its def the head gasket
yama440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)