Performance Tires or not? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mikester328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikester328
(Thread Starter)
I'm thinking of getting some tires.... just not sure if I should get performance tires or like long lasting Michelin's or something. Performance tires usually cost more and wear down faster right? Any suggestions/opinions on this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Look at the tread wear rating. Better tread wear=longer lasting

Choosing tires really depends on how you like to drive and how you like the car to respond to you. Want it to drive well? Get some nice performance tires -+ good tread wear (lower tread ware on performance tires increases grip because of a softer rubber compound). Want it to drive not as well as it could, but save a good deal of money, get some cheep tires.

I just put some crappy $89 kumho tires on the back of mine where some really nice ones use to be. Rides about the same except it's much gooier because the rubber is softer. I got them because I wanted some cheep rubber in the back so I could drift, and save some money, normally I wouldnt do such a thing. After I have my fun, I'll get some nice ones.
I had a set of Falken Ziex 512 tires on all 4 wheels. While I was shopping for my cheep rear ones, those turned out to be fairly cheep and rated very well by many people. From my personal experience with them, they really do perform. Ride was quiet and smooth, grip was great, and performance was excellent. I can't say much on tread wear because I did drive like a racecar all of the time. If I had to recommend a tire brand without knowing your driving habits, Id go with the Falken Ziex 512 tire.

I also sugest you visit This Site and look around at the user reviews. As you can see, the 512 is also their featured tire :P

#3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
It all depends on the compound. As mentioned by bitcore, do a little investigating. If you can hold out for a little while, I will have access to some great rubber with awesome pricing. I am going to organize a group pricing for everyone here, but it might be another month or so if you can wait then do so.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. Hmm, I think I'll go with some Toyo performance tires, In you guys' opinion, Pirelli are pretty much the best tires you can get for performance? I was thinking of just getting a step down from Pirelli's. I'll visit Tire Rack and see what they got.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 12:56 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
tire rack is a good site to look at. If you want to know which tires have the best performance just look at what tires come on stock sports cars. Dunlap, Pirelli, Michelin, Toyo and Kumho make good tires for performance. The Pirelli won't wear as well (ie last as long) from what I have heard about them. If you want some cheaper tire, and I hate to say this, look at the Firestone Firehawks. I don't know if they make them in the size you need, but for cheap performance and good tire wear they're not too bad. However, if you have the money for it I would sugest tires from the above mention names. If you want comfort and performance look at Michelin BFGoodrich Dunlap or Bridgestone.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Neutral Member

schnitz is an unknown quantity at this point
I had pirellis before in my old car and I had problems with the tyre cracking. personally id go for the michelins
#7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

eloff19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to eloff19
i love my pirelli's they're so sticky...i've put 10,000 on them and i drive pretty hard...cornering, accelerating, etc. but there's still quite a bit of tread left, if you look on tire-rack read reviews, a lot of them are very helpful as to what tire to buy!
#8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hmm, tire rack seems to be the 'standard' place to go for tires and information on them. I'll check out some more reviews on the Pirelli tires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)