BMW Werkz banner

Performance chip

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  whitebeemer328 
#1 ·
I have a 99 convrt 323
I was thinking about getting this performance chip

$100
I do not have a performance air filter or exhaust.
If I get the chip do I have to get all the other stuff.
Does anyone else have a chip. Does it make a difference?
help me out guys?
:banghead
GERMAN ENGINEERED Z Performance Chips
Here is how your vehicle works: Fuel/oxygen ratios in modern automobiles are regulated by an Electronic Control Unit(ECU). Factory ECUs are set to maintain a 14.7:1 Fuel/Oxygen ratio, this is known as a stoichometric fuel mix. This mix is a balance between power and fuel economy, which is what most automobile buyers are happy with. In general, leaning out the fuel/oxygen ratio will cause a power loss, but fuel economy gain, conversely richening the mix will cause a slight (usually less than 1/2 mpg) reduction in fuel economy, but an increase in power. The fuel/oxygen ratio must remain between 13:1 and 17:1 to remain efficient, any leaner and the engine will be starved for fuel, any richer and the engine will not be able to combust all of the fuel causing inefficiency. Performance chips and modules increase performance by adjusting these ratios between 13 and 14.7, the more performance oriented fuel curves. Here is how the Module will enhance your vehicle performance: The German Engineered Performance Module enhances performance in two ways. First, it modifies signals being read by the ECU causing an adjustment to the fuel curve, which is what creates the performance gain. All performance chips and modules operate in this manner. The fuel curve is modified across the entire rpm range, increasing low-end throttle response, increasing high-rev power and making up shifting more crisp. The second feature of the German Engineered Performance Module is its "High-Heat Signal Correction." In short, when the engine compartment heats up, some sensors that relay pertinent fuel curve contingent information to the ECU begin to lose accuracy due to heat absorption into the sensor. The ECU then reads these incorrect signals, and leans out the fuel curve, which is bad for performance. These errors cannot be corrected from within the computer; there must be an independent unit to correct these errors. The German Engineered Performance Module is designed Horse power gain - 10-15

See less See more
#2 ·
No.

There is no chip in your car, you need to reprogram the ECU. I would not trust that 'module' for 100$. Spend the extra 200 - 300$ and get the reprogrammer. It'll get rid of the rev limiter, change the fuel map, remove the speed governer, and a few other things possibly. Plus, you won't get 10-15 horses out of a bolt on MOD. Sorry. Especially not by simply changing the fuel map.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Your car is OBDII and that doesn't take chips. You need to get the reprogrammer like $300 from bavauto.com, and ou can share it with any buddies that have OBDII as well.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Andrewsd1985@Dec 18 2003, 04:45 PM
Your car is OBDII and that doesn't take chips. You need to get the reprogrammer like $300 from bavauto.com, and ou can share it with any buddies that have OBDII as well.
You sure about that? I was under the impression that the reprogrammer burned your VIN into ROM so it will only work on that particular car. Otherwise 4 people with the same type of car could each throw in 100$ and reprogramm their cars.

#5 ·
Oh my bad I'm not sure, I have OBDI so I'm not positive but I do know that it saves your factory settings, but not sure about the vin. So in theory if they all had the same factory settings it wouldn't matter, but don't quote me.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Andrewsd1985@Dec 18 2003, 06:11 PM
Oh my bad I'm not sure, I have OBDI so I'm not positive but I do know that it saves your factory settings, but not sure about the vin. So in theory if they all had the same factory settings it wouldn't matter, but don't quote me.
It's all good. But you're still wrong :p

Yes, you can save the factory settings to the unit to be burned back on at a later time if needed (but I figure that feature exists because the first guy who tested it said "Hey, that program don't work bub. It would have been really nice if I could have saved my factory settings").

According to my BavAuto catalog you can only use it on one car. It does not go into details on why or how (I suspect one of the prgrammers probably mentioned something about that to an executive or something).

My VIN theory, however, is hypodermical. To me it makes the most logical sense as a means to defeate piracy.

#12 ·
the chip you are talking about for 100 for the obd 2 is just a resistor it works but if you buy one at radioshack it will cost you 2.99 for six.what it does is you unplug your ats air temp sensor and you instsll the resistor in you have to find out what that sensor uses for input for the coldest air rating say at 0 degrees farinheight that is per say 110 ohms then you plug that one in you can all do it yourselves just have to find out what it reads also you could put the sensor in cold ass water-ice and with a multimeter get the ohms and buy a resistor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.