Peake Research Code Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
bpowers is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 96 BMW 318ti manual. I don't drive it much because I still can't get the windows to roll down or the sunroof to open (and it's not the CR), there's a small tidal pool that runs between the rear passenger floor and the front passenger floor, and the check engine light went on over the winter. Since I have NO garage and it's been cold all winter here in NY, now that it's warm, I purchased a PR code reader to see what's wrong. Overall, the car starts right up, but it idles erratically and after you drive it for awhile, it will only run correctly at high rpm's; in other words, in the normal rpm band, when you're holding your foot on the gas, the car will actually begin to slow down (almost like you're running out of gas). At idle, you need to tap the accelerator to keep it idling.

Here are the codes and I'm not sure what to make of them.

I got the following in this order:

00, 6C, 16, 00, 00, 94, --

Here's what they mean for my year:

00 -- can't find anything!

6C -- battery disconnected?

16 -- can't find anything! (maybe 1b? fuel trim, QL additive)?

94 -- EWS input (drive away protection) alarm

Am I doing something wrong? Either I'm making a huge error in reading the codes or I don't know?!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
bpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
kvadgama is an unknown quantity at this point
When you first plug the tool and press GO button, it shows you which table# to use.
Are you using the correct table# to look up codes.
Tell us which table you're looking at and maybe I can help.

K
kvadgama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by kvadgama@May 4 2005, 04:38 PM
When you first plug the tool and press GO button, it shows you which table# to use.
Are you using the correct table# to look up codes.
Tell us which table you're looking at and maybe I can help.

K
[snapback]340871[/snapback]

Well, when I hit the "go" button, there's a pause and then it displays the first code, 00, then I hit "go" again, and the next code (6C),so I'm not sure it's providing a table #? (unless I'm missing it somehow).

Any ideas? From searching through all of the charts, it seems like all of the "6C's" are battery disconnect (don't understand that one) and the "94" is the EWS (alarm). Thatleaves "16" which is either fuel injector, cyl. #3 OR idle speed actuator OR precat oxy sensor aging bank 2 (but I think that's for the 8XX/7XX series Bmw?).

What's "00" mean? Can't find it anywhere!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
What's "00" mean? Can't find it anywhere!
[snapback]340903[/snapback]
[/quote]

My instructions say the the first number you see is the "table". There is a table "00" on page 12 of my booklet. However, the only code I see is "16", which says "ignition coil". Was the tool inserted fully? Sorry I can't be of further assistance.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Peake RF5/fcx (version 2) tool. The manual says:

There is a 00 table but no 6c under this table.

there is a 16 which states ignition coil cyl#7.

there is no 94 under table 00

Your best bet is to go the peake website and see if they have the codes for your tool online top view.
Fadec40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Fadec40@May 5 2005, 06:42 AM
I have the Peake RF5/fcx (version 2) tool. The manual says:

There is a 00 table but no 6c under this table.

there is a 16 which states ignition coil cyl#7.

there is no 94 under table 00

Your best bet is to go the peake website and see if they have the codes for your tool online top view.
[snapback]341052[/snapback]

Well, I reset the codes yesterday and waited for the check engine light to turn on again, which it did. Now when I check, the only information which appears after I see Fc and hit "go" is 6C --- nothing else is displayed -- after 6C, when I hit go, all I see is - -
Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
I checked the VDS, which is another way to search for the correct chart, and mine is CG73 which does match the chart I was already using - chart #4 for a 1996 318ti. According to chart 4, 6C is battery disconnect? Is there possible something wrong there? Battery is fine, holds charge, car starts fine, everything works, but car runs erratically. Does not seem to make sense!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
Take the car to Autozone and they will tell you what's wrong with it. They will also pull the codes for you. Save your money and take back your peake code reader.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by aheath@May 5 2005, 11:21 AM
Take the car to Autozone and they will tell you what's wrong with it. They will also pull the codes for you. Save your money and take back your peake code reader.
[snapback]341137[/snapback]

Sounds like a good plan. I'm just a little concerned because the nearest one is about 30 miles away from me and I'm nervous about the car making it there and back.

Does anyone know if it makes a difference whether the codes are read with the key in different positions? My lock cylinder's frozen, so I installed a PB start; therefore, my "key" is always in the run position. I'd have to take some things apart in order to verify, so I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me the answer before I begin to "deconstruct."

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
You're NOT suppose to pull codes with the car in RUN position. Should be turned to alternator or 2nd click (the one right before RUN). Try that and see if it works.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by aheath@May 5 2005, 01:54 PM
You're NOT suppose to pull codes with the car in RUN position. Should be turned to alternator or 2nd click (the one right before RUN). Try that and see if it works.
[snapback]341191[/snapback]
Tried in different positions -- no difference -- still getting 6C
Old 05-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
I downloaded Bav Auto's user guide (I'm assuming it's the same tool as Peake's) and they give better instructions. Unfortunately, the codes match up the same as they did in Peake's guide. The only hope I did muster after reading Baz's guide was the conversion chart in the back -- to convert from hex to decimal format which it says should be the same as the dealer. If I change from hex to decimal, this is what I get:

6C = (6x16 = 96 + C (= 12)) = 108

16 = (1 x 16 = 16 + 6) = 22

94 = (9 x 16 = 144 + 4) = 148

Can anyone make sense of these or point me to where I can find the dealer codes?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)