BMW Werkz banner

Passenger Door Latch.

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
Well, recently my passenger door trim starting coming loose. No big deal, I replaced the black trim on the inside, and it seems to hold fine so far. The old one was worn anyway.

Now, the annoying problem. On the 318is, the window opens slightly when the door opens or closes, and closes fully when the door shuts. My driver's door is just fine, but my passenger door only latches fully about half the time. Thus, the window only seals about half the time. Last night, I spent 20 minutes in 0F trying to find any dirt or crap in the window track so the window would close. :wrench

I went over the latch with a rag and got out a lot of black crud, but is there anything else I should try? Hose it down with WD40 and see if it's just dirty? :help

Thanks. :)

#2 ·
Originally posted by Casey3561@Jan 21 2005, 02:03 PM
Well, recently my passenger door trim starting coming loose. No big deal, I replaced the black trim on the inside, and it seems to hold fine so far. The old one was worn anyway.

Now, the annoying problem. On the 318is, the window opens slightly when the door opens or closes, and closes fully when the door shuts. My driver's door is just fine, but my passenger door only latches fully about half the time. Thus, the window only seals about half the time. Last night, I spent 20 minutes in 0F trying to find any dirt or crap in the window track so the window would close. :wrench

I went over the latch with a rag and got out a lot of black crud, but is there anything else I should try? Hose it down with WD40 and see if it's just dirty? :help

Thanks. :)
[snapback]276162[/snapback]​
whe the window does not go up, stays down, does the door lock? or it just unlocks itself right afterwards...

If its only the window, then the position sensor on the window motor lift is gone, you can put it back on place, but it fail again, so a new motor is the best solution.

in case the door lock unlocks when the window also wont go up, is because there is a swicth on the door lock mechanism that fails, this swicth tells the door that is open, so it puts the window down and it wont let it lock..
once you close the door, it will make contanct ,letting the motor knwo the door is closed, so it put the window up and also permit the lock to lock.

for above procedures, they are all on the web and also on this forum..,. ive posted on anoteher convertible that had same issues.
coupes, convertibles share the same sytem, and then problems.

let me know if more help is neede.

#3 ·
It's the second of the problems. It'll latch, but only halfway. I'm going to go over it with a can of WD-40 and see if the latch loosens up.

What would I search for to find out how to replace or clean out that latch mechanism?

#4 ·
Originally posted by Casey3561@Jan 22 2005, 10:04 PM
It's the second of the problems. It'll latch, but only halfway. I'm going to go over it with a can of WD-40 and see if the latch loosens up.

What would I search for to find out how to replace or clean out that latch mechanism?
[snapback]277154[/snapback]​
search for e36 door lock mechanism, i belive.

pretty much youll pull out all the whole lock mechanism out of the door...
and since youre going to be at it. then rreplace the swicth that ive talk about.l

#5 ·

hey
this is what you need form the dealer..

but this microswicth only applies to convertibles and coupes, because the window has no metal frame on top, so it needs to know when to drop the window.

on sedans, the siwcht is not there, the only swicht that there is is located on the striker, so if its a sedan and is asking weird, than just look for the striker.

hope this pics helps.

#6 ·

hey

but this microswicth only applies to convertibles and coupes, because the window has no metal frame on top, so it needs to know when to drop the window.

on sedans, the siwcht is not there, the only swicht that there is is located on the striker, so if its a sedan and is asking weird, than just look for the striker.

hope this pics helps.

Attachments

#7 ·

hey

hope this pics helps.

[attachmentid=17579]

Attachments

#8 ·
#10 ·
Well, I finally got around to washing it (38 degrees! Yay!), and the problem is solved. Took a lot of crud out of the latch area with a clean rag, wiped it out and lightly oiled it with mineral oil, and it works sweetly as ever. Cheap fix. :)

#11 ·
Originally posted by Casey3561@Jan 25 2005, 06:52 PM
Well, I finally got around to washing it (38 degrees! Yay!), and the problem is solved. Took a lot of crud out of the latch area with a clean rag, wiped it out and lightly oiled it with mineral oil, and it works sweetly as ever. Cheap fix. :)
[snapback]279166[/snapback]​
Cool. It's good to know that worked for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.