Painting grey front n rear bumpers, and skirtsQST - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
drkangldc is an unknown quantity at this point
I was wondering if anybody here has painted the rear and front bumpers, sideskirts, and moldings. I have a 318iS and hate the grey color on the plastics. I was planing to paint them with Krylon Fusion paint, but i'm not the the gloss black color they have will match my body color. Any suggestions or tips would really help. Thanks in advance.
drkangldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
greennvmachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to greennvmachine
i fyou search on this forum for grey removal, there is a cheap way to color your skirts, but the front and rear bumpers will need to be painted normally(for plastic).
greennvmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
I painted mine, but the color was off, or a flake was wrong because from some angles it's off and from some angles it's on, it's a little too blue.

Doing it yourself, or having a shop do it?

Kevin

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, the side skirts have factory colored paint underneath the grey stuff. With a certain easy method and some elbow grease ... it comes off to reveal your new colormatched sideskirts. The front and back bumpers however are plastic through and through. I was thinking about doing it myself. I know a shop that's known for giving good colormatched bmw paint ... so if i can pick some of that up, maybe.

then again ... it may just be worth it to pay someone else to do it right ... w/ a flex agent.

alex
ajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
greennvmachine: i searched this forum for "grey removal" and only came up with this forum and another one. It doesn't explain how to do it in either.

Kevin325i: I plan to do it myself.

ajames: I noticed u mentioned a "certain easy method" do u know what it is? that way i can try it

Thanks for you guys' input, really helps. To stop the flaking i was planning on using the Krylon fusion paint. The only problem is the color match. I was wondering if there would be a problem if i coated the plastic with white Krylon fusion paint and then painted it with the proper black color . If not i'll probably use the gloss black paint krylon has and hope it isn't too off.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
sry, i forgot to tell you where to find the instructions ...

site that's helped me out alot since i got my bimmer ... www.geocities.com/e36rulz/DIY.html

page down and there are several write-ups on "grey removal" and the like! enjoy! there's a couple different methods that you'll read about. One i belive used steel wool and the other uses a chemical. I prefered to use the Castrol SuperCleaner method because i didn't want to dull the paint underneath.

ps. take it from me ... if you go down the chemical route ... WEAR GLOVES. i *forgot* to do so and my hands are still kinda "flaking". I guess it ate away the top layer of skin ... not good!

good luck man

alex
ajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
greennvmachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to greennvmachine
gloves are a nessecity(SP*), i used the castrol on my skirts. i recommend spraying paper towels and sticking them on the grey area. do not let them dry, keep spraying every 15 min to 30, depending on the weather. rub off with a kitchen brush viola!!!!
greennvmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
I'd say see if you can't get it matched. I went to a shop and had them mix up my paint code. It was a little off, but nothing I could do about it since it's already on there. It looks better than with the grey, but you'll be happier if you get some stuff that's the actual color.

There's spray cans you can buy online of your exact paint that people have been really happy with, but I don't know the site. Also, if you plan to spray paint them (I wouldn't recomend it) find a urethane based paint so you don't need a flex agent.

Kevin

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
www.paintsratch.com
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
steve 92 325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to steve 92 325is
This might work -

DIY Paint gray skirts
steve 92 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
wait are u say ing to buy the color in aspray bottle and put it on yourself would anyone recommend this?

David
Old 07-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
I've found spray cans to be difficult to use for me. I suck at painting with them and get shitty coverage. But I've seen people do it well. If you have a spray gun, find somewhere to match you some paint.

Kevin

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Old 07-03-2004, 05:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I finally went throught with it. It took a long time to do the whole thing though. It was a couple of hours to remove the grey stuff using the Castrol method. I painted the bumpers yeterday and it took me literally all day. I removed the bumpers and used Plasti-Kote bumper primer and Plasti-Kote bumper black gloss paint, each can was 6.99, I had to use 2 cans of paint, and 2 cans of primer. Both paints are flexible, so i don't think they're going to peal. I was really satisfied with the results. I really appreciate all you guys' input, it was a lot of help. Thanks . If anybody has any questions feel free to ask.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
post pics and maybe a DIY?
Old 07-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Right now I don't have a digital camera so it would be hard for me to provide pictures. I'll try to borrow my cousin's to take some pictures. The procedure is pretty straight forward. If you click on the links given by the people above it tells you how to remove the grey off the skirts. I used the method that talks about soaking paper towels. I found that it worked really well. For the bumpers, I had to remove them both. I could've pobably painted it without removing them, but i figured i wanted a professional look and get all the little details painted. After removing the bumpers i removed the fog lights (the paint cans give you detailed procedures you have to follow in painting with their paint, but here are the procedure paraphrased just in case it helps ) .Then I cleaned everything i was going to paint with soap, water, and the castrol cleaner. After cleaning them i lightly sanded the parts i was going to paint with 600 sanding paper and removed the sanding dust by washing them again. After that, i covered the parts of the bumper that i didn't want painted with masking tape. I applied three coats of Plasti-Kote bumper primer. Then i lightly sanded the primer with 600 sanding paper. I cleaned the sanding dust with moiste paper towels since i didn't want to remove the masking tape. I sprayed three coats of Plasti-Kote bumper black gloss paint on the bumpers. I also applied same method for all of the jack hole covers. Finally i put the bumpers back on the car and admired my work :P . In my opinion, this is a must for any BMW owner with grey bottom. It gives the car a more contemporary look and makes it look more classy. If it helps you to know, since i dont have the pictures right now, the job looks really professional, you can't even tell that the bumpers and skirts were once grey. If you follow the procedure described you should get the same results. Your going to have to buy two cans of paint and two cans of primer (it was enough to do all the coats for me). If you still have any questions feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)