BMW Werkz banner

Painted My Side Skirts

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Casey3561 
#1 ·
I finally used my new HVLP spray gun to paint my side skirts today. I did a little sanding on them to smooth them out, cleaned the hell out of them and then used sherwin williams black paint, that mixing stuff which I forgot the name of and a little bit of hardener and I sprayed the hell out of them! Put on about 3 coats, didn't clear coat, though. That I will do next weekend. I think they turned out damn good. This is the third thing I've painted thus far since I started trying to learn how to paint. I'll have some better pics tomorrow as these were taken in my cramped garage tonight :p

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I got my gun at sherwin william's auto paint along with all the paint and stuff. Spent about 400 total on everything including tons of extra stuff that I didn't need for this project. And I created my own little "paint room" in my buddies big BARN. He hung huge drop cloths from the ceiling, cut out holes in them for fans to blow out. worked damn good.

#6 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Sep 26 2004, 09:26 PM
I got my gun at sherwin william's auto paint along with all the paint and stuff. Spent about 400 total on everything including tons of extra stuff that I didn't need for this project. And I created my own little "paint room" in my buddies big BARN. He hung huge drop cloths from the ceiling, cut out holes in them for fans to blow out. worked damn good.
[snapback]199678[/snapback]​

Cool! send us more pics L8R.....I'm still waiting to do mine. But I still don't understand why painting a car is so complicated (3 coats + sanding + clear coats) :confused and expensive...$400 for supplies :cry

I'm trying to get a shop nearby to do it for me for cheap If I supply the paint and the proper instructions whiles watching them do it.

So far the paint itself seems to be the cheapest thing..

ANYWAY...good luck dude....

#9 ·
some more pics...

reason 400 for everything was because the gun alone was 100 bucks and it's a pretty good one for the price. here are some more pics... I need to clear coat to match it up better, but I think the skirts are a nice color because they're not worn or anything.. need to paint the rest of the car now...

Attachments

#16 ·
yeah I bought enough materials to paint my whole car which I plan to do myslelf in the spring. these are just touchups that have been bugging me since I bought the car. I plan on doing a PROFESSIONAL job this spring on the whole car when I get all my new m3 stuff

#23 ·
Originally posted by beemerduke2@Sep 28 2004, 04:08 PM
Great job! Did you try to mach the original paint? I have a calypso red 318i. Would like to do the same thing. Did you use any primer before painting?
[snapback]200905[/snapback]​

Yeah I'm checking out a few paint sites to match my Calypso Red BMR!!! I can't wait to start...as well. :wrench

:wrench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.