OverHeating Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
blazinaces is on a distinguished road
OverHeating Problem

Ok so I just bought this 92 325i (E36) and the prev. owner was telling me how he had a crack in the radiator but had it fixed or replaced. He also said that he had a problem with keeping water in it, when he said that I was ready to walk away b/c of a probable head gasket problem, but then he said it keeps antifreeze with no prob. but still likes to overheat. Could it still be a head gasket? I've looked around and it doesn't leak, just a lil oil but nothing major. I've noticed a cooling hose going to a pump is all cracked up but surely this couldn't cause this problem. Now I've had this car for about 2 weeks or so and it gets to normal temp. after like 5 mins. If any one has any suggestions or had this happen to them that would be great to see what I'm up against here maybe.

Last edited by blazinaces; 12-19-2009 at 08:43 AM.
blazinaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinaces View Post
Ok so I just bought this 92 325i (E36) and the prev. owner was telling me how he had a crack in the radiator but had it fixed or replaced. He also said that he had a problem with keeping water in it, when he said that I was ready to walk away b/c of a probable head gasket problem, but then he said it keeps antifreeze with no prob. but still likes to overheat. Could it still be a head gasket? I've looked around and it doesn't leak, just a lil oil but nothing major. I've noticed a cooling hose going to a pump is all cracked up but surely this couldn't cause this problem. Now I've had this car for about 2 weeks or so and it gets to normal temp. after like 5 mins. If any one has any suggestions or had this happen to them that would be great to see what I'm up against here maybe.
Head gasket? Check for coolant in the oil, remove oil fill cap & look for a tan milky substance, also check & see if there is a sweet smelling mist coming from the exhaust pipe @ operating temperature, it will be a constant white misty smoke ......if not........overheating can result from a faulty t-stat, water pump, or air in the system, which you will need to bleed out.

Signs of a faulty t-stat: coolant circulation too fast, (stuck open) No or very little circulation (stuck closed)......

Water pump: propeller was made out of plastic 92' thru 97' & are known to break apart causing no coolant circulation....

jb

Pelican Technical Article: BMW Water Pump Replacement

BMW E36 Thermostat Removal And Coolant Flush
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1996 BMW 328i
Photos:
Texbeamer is on a distinguished road
+1
Texbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well I changed a connector hose on the air intake and there was a kinda tan milky substance in there could that be the milky liquid your talking about. Also I have no heat, the windshield trys to fog up when i try to cut the heat on, and when i turn the heat on i smell a hint of antifreeze. All these things i just noticed. Could that be the heater core? B/c I know that on my last car I had that prob., foggy windshield and antifreeze smell and it was the anti freeze.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinaces View Post
Well I changed a connector hose on the air intake and there was a kinda tan milky substance in there could that be the milky liquid your talking about. Also I have no heat, the windshield trys to fog up when i try to cut the heat on, and when i turn the heat on i smell a hint of antifreeze. All these things i just noticed. Could that be the heater core? B/c I know that on my last car I had that prob., foggy windshield and antifreeze smell and it was the anti freeze.
Is the carpet wet in the front footwell area? This would explain the coolant loss.... Sounds like the heater core!

jb
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
well i just checked the floorboards and they're not wet, so that is weird, unless on a bmw they have a drain line that goes out of the car. Thats how my last car was. But I know I filled up the reservoir and after a day its completely drained. So I got something going on, just not sure where. Guess on my time off I'll be taking her into a shop so i can actually look at the whole thing. Hopefully its not what I'm not wanting it to be...Head gasket. But that still seems weird that its showing signs of a heater core and maybe it still is the heater core and possibly a head gasket as well. If so then damn I really picked a good one. lol
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Sounds like you have a heater core problem. You will lose fluid this way and also possibly make your heat not work and smell like antifreeze.

As long as your car keeps a good temp there is no reason to look for a cooling problem. If your care smells like antifreeze inside and your floorboards are wet, you have a heatercore problem.

This will involve removing the dash to fix. Not easy and not cheap.

Good luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97alpineM3 View Post
Sounds like you have a heater core problem. You will lose fluid this way and also possibly make your heat not work and smell like antifreeze.

As long as your car keeps a good temp there is no reason to look for a cooling problem. If your care smells like antifreeze inside and your floorboards are wet, you have a heatercore problem.

This will involve removing the dash to fix. Not easy and not cheap.

Good luck,

Les
Oh yeah trust me I know it definitely aint fun, that was one of my 1st problems I encountered on my last car. But my floorboard isnt wet though, so I'm not to sure what it is. I still agree with you, I'm still thinking its the heater core though, i got the next 7 days off so i might check into it during that time.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jeffhall009 is on a distinguished road
Its a big problem for which you should immediately get solved. Other you will find lots of problem while driving your car.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)