Overheating Probelms - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Cod
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cod is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Overheating Probelms

I've had bad overheating over the past month with a little white smoke (can't tell if its from cold weather or what) from the exhaust as well as the smell of anti-freeze inside and outside of the car. From my understanding, white smoke typically means there is a problem with the head gasket or the engine block itself. Like I stated earlier, it has been rather cold here recently and I cannot tell if the white smoke is straight from the engine or just from the car running in the cold. So, is there a way for me to find out whether or not the block is warped, cracked, etc.? I know how to check the head gaskets, but I want to be sure the block isn't shot before going through the trouble of replacement.

From talking to people, I've been told it could be something with the oil on the block, etc.. I was told for that problem to just change the oil and look at the color of it (milky-brownish is bad). Any truth to this?

Also, my car needs a new battery before I do any work on it since its completely dead (lights in car don't turn on, etc.).

Well, any advice or help for anything I've mentioned would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the car is a 1992 325i. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Sodium Chloride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
it sounds like you are burning antifreeze... yes this is common with a bad head gasket but it could also mean that you have a crack in your block that is getting into the cylinders... to check if it is your head gasket change the oil and look to see if it is milky... almost like a milk shake... that will verrify that it is your head gasket... lemme know what you find out...

-salts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)