Overheating At Idle In Traffic - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wcre34 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i need some help in the a similar case but my car is a 92 318i automatic

i was driving home and i notice the temp slightly goes up then it reach the red so i pulled over and let it sit till cool off and drove home carefully.. Then it happen again when i was in traffic so i had to pull over again. So i find a quick place to park bought some coolant just to get by i know im suspose to use bmw coolant or some sort i hope i didnt do any damage so after the temp cool down enough to open the coolant bottle i topped her off and close the cap it seem fairly low. She drove around find then a few days later i check and the coolant amount drop again so i kept topping her off no time to see any shop yet..

Some say it might be fan clutch, some say themo, some say waterpump which one is it really.. I dont want to waste time and money changing the wrong parts.. If anyone had experienced the same thing please tell me.. thnx ahead of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
If she overheats at idel or in hevy traffic but is good on the road I would suspect the fan clutch (I had a similar problem and it was the clutch). Loss of coolant can be difficult to find and if she gets too hot she may be venting from the coolant overlow hose.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
To check your clutch, spin the fan with the engine off. It shouldn't turn more than one revolution. If it does, it needs replacing.

#4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:28 PM
n00b

toast_mcmann is an unknown quantity at this point
is a/c on when this happens?
#5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Test the fan clutch. As said above, it should turn with some resistance. If it spins freely or does not spin. you have a jacked up fan clutch. Your auxiliary fan or aux. fan switch may be bad. Look into this if you get the problem mainly when running the A/C.

#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
the first time i was trying the a/c because at test drive it was fine, i checked the fan and it spin with resistance.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
could it be something like themostat and waterpump problem?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wcre34@Aug 14 2005, 02:35 PM
i need some help in the a similar case but my car is a 92 318i automatic

i was driving home and i notice the temp slightly goes up then it reach the red so i pulled over and let it sit till cool off and drove home carefully.. Then it happen again when i was in traffic so i had to pull over again. So i find a quick place to park bought some coolant just to get by i know im suspose to use bmw coolant or some sort i hope i didnt do any damage so after the temp cool down enough to open the coolant bottle i topped her off and close the cap it seem fairly low. She drove around find then a few days later i check and the coolant amount drop again so i kept topping her off no time to see any shop yet..

Some say it might be fan clutch, some say themo, some say waterpump which one is it really.. I dont want to waste time and money changing the wrong parts.. If anyone had experienced the same thing please tell me.. thnx ahead of time
[snapback]369563[/snapback]

For the heating keep in mind what you said, you are having coolant losses.

First go and try to find where is the coolant leaking at, ive seen that most of the time a coolant leak begins at the heater core inside of the car, and this coolant leaks trought the ac, heater housing drain.
After you fixed you coolant loss mistery, go and check you fan, check both, the electrical and mechanical, check to make sure you electrical fan sensor thermostat is actually working. Then i would go and check the water pump and then engine coolant thermostat..

Keep in mind that BMW engines are high performance engines that require good cooling systems, if the system is negleted, even on its small details, the engine will bicht.. Own experience with bimmer.

Anyway hiope this helps.

Victor

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)