Overheating At Idle - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, I have a 318i 5 speed. My car overheats at idle at about 3 min or so of idling without the AC. With the AC on, it would run fine all day. I changed the temperature switch and its still the same. I try to look for this topic and in some places they say it could be a resistor at the Electric fan. Is this something that can be changed or do I have to buy a new fan?

Or what else you guys think it could be?
BImmerN2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Fan Clutch, not the aux fan.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I thought that my fan was electrical. there shouldn't be a fan clutch
Old 07-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
You have two fans, the one you can see in the engine compartment that attaches to the water pump pulley (the viscous fan) and an electric one that is in front of the radiator. If she overheats at idle, odds are it is the fan clutch on the water pump pulley fan. If the electric fan runs with AC on (and it should) then the resistor is good.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I checked about a fan clutch, but I shoudn't have such a thing. I checked my manual and personally my car and it's an electric fan.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
When you open the hood on your car, do you see a fan on the front of the engine?" If yes that is the vscous fan with clutch (the aluminum casting in thecenter of the fan blades either on front or rear of the fan is the clutch) Now, look throught them kidney shaped grill and you will see the electric (auxiliary) fan.

All of our cars have two fans and if the viscous one goes bad, the engine overheats at idle. The electric fan comes on anytime the AC is selected and also has two speeds (low and high) that are triggered by one or two fan switch/es that on your car is/are probably located on bottom, back side of the radiator.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the info Bear. Unfortunately, alll I see is the one in front of the engine. It is not attached to the water pump pulley. In my manual (Yes is the suckey Hanes Manual) says for the M44 it has an electric fan. Could it be that they have a fan clutch too? I thought fans attached to the water pulley had a fan clutch only.

The other issue is I think I got Fucked on the Auxiliary fan, There is no fucking fan there!!!! ghead maybe a dumb ass question, but could that be it. doesn't it come on at Idle?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
RallyE36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you checked the thermostat or replaced it?
It comes as a single unit with the housing and hose connectors.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Thermostat, air pockets, or lose drive belt. Works fine with the AC on because that turns on the auxiliary fan that I will boldly say you do (or at least should) have.

You are right. You don't have a fan clutch problem. M44 e36s and a manual transmission have an electric cooling fan instead of the belt-driven viscous fan. All e36s have a two-speed electric auxiliary cooling fan mounted behind the front grille and in front of the radiator. If you don't have an auxiliary fan, somebody took it out.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Now I am really confused as all parts data bases show a fan coupling (looks like a clutch) for this car. Try www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do then do your car, year, and at search for parts go to engine and then cooling and see if a fan clutch does not appear.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Well, I'll be I don't have an auxiliary cooling fan. Before in place of it was a fucking neon. I bet they took it out so they could put a silly neon bar in the car.
I will still check the other stuff. Although my belts were changed, new thermo was put in and a flush was done by the stealer. although is funny because I put the A/C on and it's good, but I turn off and that needle will go to RED.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
That is really weird. Try to get an aux fan. They are expensive, though. Maybe they wired the primary electrical fan to work on high speed when the AC is on. Just keep the AC on, I guess.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Here is the setup I got, I got this photo from ebay from where they selling the same fan I have. It came from a 318Ti though, but is the same setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Overheating At Idle-elec_fan.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
last question I had was if anybody had this setup. especially anybody in the 318 arena.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
OK so I lied, I need the REAL last question. Can you change the resistor on these fans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)