BMW Werkz banner

overheating e36 325i coupe 1994 m reg

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DarrellS 
#1 ·
hi guys,
my car temp gauge jumped into the red, when i stopped the car it started ok but soon the problem re-occured. called out the aa who said that the head gasket had blown?? when the engine was cool and the radiator cap was removed, it was started up and the water came back out the cap. do any of you guys know if this is correct or what else it could be and a rough idea of cost to get it repaired. any advice would be appreciated. i live in alloa in central scotland so any recommended garages would also be helpful.

#2 ·
Yes water will come up, there should be a pressure line of some sort to pump the water through the radiator. Most likely your water pump impeller fan cracked which means you need to replace your water pump, a very easy job and while your at it, you should also change out your thermostat and thermostat housing with a metal housing instead of plastic, and a water pump with a metal impeller fan instead of plastic.

#3 ·
I had a similar problem recently, where my temp light came on and water poured back up from the water reservoir when the cap was removed and the RAC guy told me my head gasket had gone. Drove the car to a friends garage and put it on a ramp to have a look see and it turned out to be a pipe at the back of the head had split and was spilling water on the engine. Cost £9 for the pipe to repair it.
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.