Overheating - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
msmartypants is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
1994 325 - purchased a week ago today. Overheated last night - no water lost - no leaks. I've read about the typical problem with the fan going bad in the water pump. Would this result in temperature gauge going to hot without losing water? Was told if no water was lost - engine wasn't damaged. Compression is still good, fan clutch is good - no water leaks. What about the thermostat housing problem I read about? Something visibly obvious I should look for there?
Oh yeah, (minor detail) have to add a quart of oil every other day or so - doesn't leak... :-#

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear Member

flying_junk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to flying_junk
minor detail- lol. dude. a quart of oil every other day. thats alot. that is alot. so. its leaking or something cuz it cant just go away.

1992 325i. 5speed.
fun stuff
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:21 PM
5th Gear Member

Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
You might have a bad main seal

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I failed to mention that it runs great - the engine is strong and smooth, doesn't skip a beat and kicks ass - no noises, knocks, smoke OR LEAKS!
Now I'm just a girl, but let me guess... a bad main seal "burns" oil ? ... since it's not on the ground, or on the engine and doesn't stay in the engine? Sudden overheat a symptom of the same....?
Gee, thank goodness it's not the water pump fan
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 AM
2nd Gear Member

mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Did it just over heat driving around town?? if so its likely to be the fan clutch, with small amounts of air flowing in it can heat it up fairly quickly. But im not sure if this fails it just uses excessive amounts of water so i may be wrong.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM
5th Gear Member

Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
u checked your radiator fluid?

Am talking about the radiator it's self, no the extra reservoir

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:25 PM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
Is it cold where u are perhaps? Cuz my car started to over heat one morning where the temputure was like 5 degrees. I started driving and like 5-10minutes later I was just about in the red. Pulled over of course because you never drive an overheated engine (unless you want a new one) and 15 minutes later the temp went back to normal. Something froze obviously, water pump, hose, i dont know but once it thawed I was good to go again. But this may be in vain cuz putting 3 quarts of oil in a week is not a good sign. It has to be going somewhere

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
#8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to be burning oil, because 3 quarts a week is just ridiculos.
My car has 122k on it and sinc elast oil change at 120k i havent added a single drop of oil on it. so check that !! my guess is eaither the oil is being burned, or worst case here, you have a craked haed and so the oil goes into the cooling system, explains your overahting, the oil clogs the cooling system.

but i dont want to freak you out yet.

most important get the water pump replaced, they had plasctic impeller that failed, or when they are about to fail, they sometimes spin making the engine seem ok and sometimes stop spining making the engine over heat.

also the thermostat housing, is of plastic, it cracks, so coolant will leak.

so get the works, new water pump, new thermost and new aluminim thermostat housing, dont forget to use bmw original coolant, it look blue, and distilled water, it must be mixed on a 50/50 ratio.

and since replacing all that requires removal of fan, change fan clucth, it fails easily and so the fan doe snot cool enought.

altough a failed fan clucth should not make the car overheat, because there is a little electrical thremostat on the side of the radiator, is the car gets too hot, the elecrical fan has to kick in. so check the electrical fan as well, since this fan has to also work on low seed when the ac is on. an easy test to see if the motor spins is to turn the ac on, go the the front where the grill is an see if th efan turns. but even if its turning it does not indicates that the thermostat on the radiator is working, this thermostat is a cheap part, just replace it anyway and check the elecrical system that activates the fan, you know relays and all.

sounds complicated, but overheating is not good for you much less your engine..

and 3 quarts of oil a week. im sorry but your engine must be about to go to the grave.....yard

make sure your measuring the oil level when the car has been siting for a while on a flat surface. gas saion checks ar enot good because some 5 min is not enought time for the oil to fall from the cilinder head onto the bottom.

what i do think is that your valve cover is leaking and since the engine is tilted sideway the oil leaks on the exaust side, and whil eyour moving the oil drips on top of the exaust manifold and is burn away..
i your car misfiring, acking weird on iddle, spputers on take offss, you know feels weird.

If its doing that is because is misfiring, and that happend because the top valve cover seal fails and oil leaks onto the spark plug recess fills it up and so no contact or spark action.

sinc eyou say the engine is not making noises, or smoke on the exaust.. get the coolant and cooling system job, then check for oil inside the spark plugs..

cause 3 quarts of oil has to go somewhere!!!!

hopt this is helpfull let me know..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yup, the water pump... what cheap piece of crap! Little impeller was all chewed to nothing on one side. Had to take a picture of that sad little thing!
What a surprise - I cannot believe they would change over to plastic for such a crucial part! Must be a scam greedy marketing tool. Greedy in a big way - I know BMW is not going broke!
Put in a new metal one - did the trick and we're good to go - no temp problems, running straight up right where it should be!
The tech info on this Forum is right dead on. I appreciate the time you guys took to think about it and shoot back a reply. Nothing better than "been there"
All food for thought for the newest little beast in the stable -
220K+ miles is entitled to a little - oil burn - a fix in due time. So what, still passed smog still kicks ass and the driveway is still clean! $2700 was still a "gimme" here in the SF bay area- good paint, straight body, clean interior, always garaged! :P
#10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

first of all im amazed a plastic impeller lasted that long.

but anyway, do check for leaks on the valve cover, because it is a normal leak.
and when not leaking on the sides, oil migh be leaking to the spark plugs and you can only know if you take the plastic cover out...

i know at 222k it can burn some oil, but 3 quarts a week still high for a car that you say is not making smoke, keep and eye..

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:02 AM
n00b

diezel99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to diezel99
For the oil consumption problem you seem to be having........I was going through the same sort of high consumption problems this summer and couldn't figure out where it was going ghead . Well I found a clogged vacuum hose........cleared it and now I'm back to 1ltr for 8000km, in otherwords normal. A telltale sign that the oil is being spit out the back and not burned is by checking the exhaust pipe tips. If you run your finger around the inside and you come up with an oily finger......it's spitting out the back. The stuff has to go somewhere.
#12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah do that. that oil must go somewhere, and when the car gets older, it is very common for the hoses underneat the manifold to crack, get clogged and all that stuff. Best thing you can do is to get all the hoses check for cracks and clogging.

And specially the older m50 tend to put a little extra oil on the manifold, so check to make sure all the hoses are in good shape.

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)