BMW Werkz banner

Overheating 1992 325iC

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sneaksta 
#1 ·
I bought a 1992 325iC in June on Ebay (yes, I know now this was a STUPID idea!) for $4150. I've since replaced many parts (tie rods, control arm, shocks, drive shaft - because the front flex disc and center support were shot, but they'd only do the whole shaft!, brakes, tires, bolts on subframe - to try to fix drive shaft issue, idiots!, window switches - did those myself, woohoo!), but a week and a half ago, I was driving home from about 25 miles away, and noticed my coolant light came on. I put the heat on full blast, kept an eye on the temperature gauge and watched it climb slowly. When I got off my exit, it was at 3/4. Had to stop at a
traffic light and it redlined, and I could see steam coming out from under the hood. I drove it the 1/2 mile home, popped the hood and she was steaming pretty good. Next day, I had it towed to a local repair shop who said a molded hose was gone, which they replaced, but it was still overheating. They replaced some belts and the thermostat and said it was fine.

I know how this is going to sound, but after that it seemed to overheat every OTHER time I drove it! Really, all the way to the dealership 20 or so miles away, it didn't overheat, but to the coffee shop a couple of miles away the day before, almost redlined it again. The dealer replaced the fan shroud, fan clutch and fan blade. The last was because they said the blade was chewed up from hitting the radiator (car was in an accident in 1997, supposedly all fixed), but that the radiator itself is fine, ditto the water pump. Still overheating and they still have it. Now they're saying I need to have the frame straightened to the tune of $1800 in order for the fan blade NOT to hit the radiator so that it spins and cools the engine properly. :thud I have a hard time believing that I drove this car from NY to Boston in June, then about 800 more miles and it never overheated, but now it's the frame being bent???? BTW, based on a post I read in this forum before I brought it to the dealer, I had them do a compression test on the engine, which they say they did and the head is fine. I told them I'm going to pick the car up and get a 2nd opinion. Any useful opinions out there? :D

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.