BMW Werkz banner

Oil On Spark Plugs Means What?????????

28K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  jmo69 
#1 ·
So i replaced my spark plugs today and the three that are closest to the oil cap had oil on them and when I got closer it had more and more oil on them. What does that mean, and how do I fix it? Is it a major problem???? Also how many KM can I usually go on standard spark plugs before I change them again?? Thanks!!!

#2 ·
This is usually caused by a worn out valve cover gasket.
You are probably getting not so good gas milage also.
If you didn't already, when replacing the spark plugs, sap up as much excess oil around the spark plug seat.
I change my spark plugs every 50,000 kilometers

#3 ·
Thanks for the response ya i actually have noticed that I have been getting not as good mileage as I used to I used to be able to get close to 600KM a tank but now seem to be getting around 530KM a tank. Not so good. But I def didn't think to sop up the oil like a true noob, is it to late to get in there and do it and then clean off the spark plugs?

#9 ·
Ya I know its not good, but I need to know how to fix this problem. But seems like its just a valve gasket seal and I should be good correct??????? O ya and to make matters worse my buddy snapped off the nipple while tighting my breaks tonight FML, hope it doesn't leak to bad before I can get some new front break calipers. But no more vibrations rides nice, except the back now LOL

#11 ·
I don't know how long it had been since they had been last changed. That what sucks I don't have any records at all so I have to replace almost everything all together. But since it seems like I am only getting responses from you guys, do you know if I can swap 5 series brake calipers with a 320i 1991?????? Thanks man !

#13 ·
Ya I would do that but, my buddy says that I am going to need to calipers soon. I am not sure if he "really" knows but he said there was a lot of break dust everywhere which my calipers are rusted all to hell and so were my rotors (before I just replaced them) so I am not sure is there any way to really tell if I need calipers? I do like the nipple replacement idea.

#14 ·
Why does he say "soon"? They either need replacing now, or not LOL... Calpers do "look" rusty without a clean and heat-paint, as long as the seals are fine and the pistons move, it should be fine... But I am not there to give you definitive advice without looking LOL

#18 ·
The best way to get the rust off is to set up an electrolysis tank with washing soda and a battery charger. It will remove all the rust without sand blasting or grinding then just paint with caliper paint from the part store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.