BMW Werkz banner

Oil Leak By Filter Housing. Wtf??

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  victorgallas 
#1 ·
Hey, I researched the forum on this, but could not find enough information on it.

My oil filter housing is leaking form the rear, right on top of where the vanos oil pipe is bolted on.

It seems to be leaking from a metal plug on the rear of the oil filter housing.

Ive heard this can happen.
How do i fix this? Do i need a whole new oil filter housing? This is like 430 bucks for the part,, and i really dont want to spend this.

Is there a way to fix the leak by the plug?? How long can i use the car, i mean will it only leak slowly, or it can burst and let a lot of oil out???

Please help me..... THnaks

#2 ·
HOLLY SHIT!!!!!!

I have the same problem, same leak (mine's below the oil filter housing), maybe even in the same spot!!!! And i've searched as you have but no luck.

Well this leak is visible and it seems is only happens when i start the car in the mornings and it leaks for less than a minute.
i was thinking of fixing it (got the gaskets for it) but haven't done it yet. for my car, 318, I must remove the alternator in order to remove the housing and change the gaskets.

So don't buy the housing check the gaskets for the housing, I went to www.realoem.com it shows great diagrams of the entire car as far as "everything". thats how i found out there was a gasket for the oil filter housing.

If you're gonna fix it please let my know thru this topic how it went, I've just been adding some oil every week and had this for over a month, nothing has burst or anything.

#3 ·
or it could be the oil level sensor, which is a plug near the housing, check that too

#4 ·
Originally posted by fushuman@Mar 7 2005, 08:00 PM
or it could be the oil level sensor, which is a plug near the housing, check that too
[snapback]305989[/snapback]​
yeah

I looked from the top of the engine then from the bottom and clearly the oil wetnees i see around the engine is comming from the housing.

I checked the oil pressure switch, no leaks there,
and on the vanos pressure oil line, there are no leaks there.

the only place i saw that leak is coming from the rear of the oil filter housing, on a casing plug or something...

im looking into buying the housing used, because a new one is 430.

so in case i get it i will let you know how it goes..

But i would personaly try to fix this soon, letting the leak happen, is bad, since most likely youre loosing some oil pressure b/c of the laek..

victor.

#6 ·
Originally posted by fushuman@Mar 7 2005, 09:00 PM
[snapback]305989[/snapback]​

Go to www.unofficialbmw.com. Click on E36, then forums. On page 2 (the last I looked) there is a thread by BMWlove on leak from oil filter housing. Good info.

Some of them can be fixed, some can't

#9 ·
and I spam some more...

Vic sorry man the one I have won't work :( it fits fine with a 325 engine but it messes with the power steering pump bracket somehow is what my mechanic told me. I do have another one that is from a 325i but it also has the same issue. My mechanic is looking in his "pile of shit" he calls because he things he has one from a 94 325i that was working fine. He's going to call me later tonight. I'll post in this topic if I have one. take it easy and good luck.

#10 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Mar 7 2005, 09:09 PM
and I spam some more...

Vic sorry man the one I have won't work :( it fits fine with a 325 engine but it messes with the power steering pump bracket somehow is what my mechanic told me. I do have another one that is from a 325i but it also has the same issue. My mechanic is looking in his "pile of shit" he calls because he things he has one from a 94 325i that was working fine. He's going to call me later tonight. I'll post in this topic if I have one. take it easy and good luck.
[snapback]306025[/snapback]​
Hey man, thnks,

My engine is the m50, i have a 1993 325i e36 all stock.

So if he can find the oil filter housing that is good let me know, Please!!!

THnaks
Victor

#11 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Mar 7 2005, 09:09 PM
and I spam some more...

[snapback]306025[/snapback]​

o Yeah, Send me the part number form the oil housing, i will then check on the ETK to see if it fits,
Thanks

#13 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Mar 8 2005, 11:47 AM
we have one from a 93 that was left over after a swap he did when a guy over reved and bent some valves. I'm going to go look at it this friday to get part numbers and to make sure it works properly. I'll PM you.
[snapback]306403[/snapback]​
Thanks,

So you know, my car is an 93 with an m50 engine, so that one youre talking about fits..

Also, when you get the part, if the plug that leaks on the back is held in place by a metal clip, then it has a oring that can be purchased and replaced. If the plug is metal and doesnt have any metal wire or clip to hold in place, then the plug is press fit into it and an epoxy seals the part, either way, i can fix the parts even if they are leaking.

Anyway, i hope i can get one that works good..

Thnaks

Victor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.