BMW Werkz banner

Oil filter housing leak

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cjscopp 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 323is, which had an oil leak at the oil filter housing. I decided to have a small shop that specializing in bmw, mercedes do the repair. Well got car back and now its leaking more than it was before bringing to them for the repair. How hard is it to get a good seal on the gaskets? I'm not sure how this is going to turn out because when I got the car home I checked it and noticed it looked pretty wet. I called them up yesterday to find out about if the repair had a warranty and they said it was fine before it left there, but if it leaks they will make it right. I feel ripped off and im calling them monday. What is everyone elses take on this?

#3 ·
Confirm that the oil filter housing is new. The gaskets are included with the housing. Their are two gaskets.

If they say they will make it right, good. Take pictures of the leak before you go in though. You want proof that it is leaking should further action be required.

#5 ·
Well if they just changed the gasket itself their is the possibility the gasket wasnt installed correctly, or they cracked/damaged the housing in the process.

My mom has an 07 VW GTI and while getting an oil change they cracked the plastic oil filter housing and it started leaking. Their the same design as the E36 one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.