BMW Werkz banner

Oil Filter Housing Leak

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bitcore 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 328i that developed an Oil leak under CPO warranty. The tech replaced the Oil Filter Housing gasket. 4 months later, I notice oil leaking again. Now the dealer tells me that I need a new Oil Filter Housing. It's $600. My CPO has expired. Has anyone had this problem? I'm trying to force BMW to make the repair. I need help if anyone has had this problem.

#2 ·
If you can't get them to do it, then you can always go aftermarket parts.

www.bavauto.com has lots of cheeper aftermarket parts that meet factory specs (if I'm not mistaken) and they are a ton cheeper than the dealerships 700% markup prices.
$600 for a round piece of plastic with 2 holes and a screw top so you can cram a filter in there is friggin redicuous dude. Don't pay for that.

Get one from aftermarket or a junkyard and get a trusted mechanic to install it for you.

#3 ·
If that was me, I'd be straight back to the dealer kicking off an making a point that the repair they carried out last time wasn't up to standard and that the original fault has come back worse than before...

See how you go, hope they don't try n rip you...

#4 ·
I have one of those from a 97 328i. all it needs is a new gasket. I'll sell it to you for 75 bucks plus shipping.. I can get you pics tonight if you want.

Also these are very easy to install. 6 bolts total and it comes off. You might need to remove your airbox though and possibly take off your radiator to make it easier. I did it three times this weekend :p

oh and another reason who it's probably leaking isn't because of the gasket, it's because of the pressure valve which has a spring on it that can become bent and out of place. that is what happened to mine this weekend. was a bitch to fix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.