Oil Change Dosesnt Last???? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HU$TLA is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Oil Change Dosesnt Last????

Any 1 Know What Would Cause My Car To Need Another Oil Change Really Soon After Its Just Been Done?
Would This Just Be The Inspection Lights Playn Up Or Somthing Alot Bigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
n00b

Shanew1983 is on a distinguished road
Id say it was not reset properly when it was serviced last, inspection lights could also be acting up aswell. Try resetting it with the BMW tool but just remember what milage you've done since you last serviced it.

Hope this helps
#3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Neutral Member

martyyyn is on a distinguished road
Is your oil level ok?? How long ago did you change it??

If it just needs resetting? you can do it without the tool, if you dont have one, but before you do it make sure thats alll it is.

Reset BMW E36 oil service light | BMW E36 Blog

cheers Martin

Last edited by martyyyn; 02-19-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: link
#4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yea we reset it with out the tool after we done the oil change didnt drive it much then not even a month later it says inspection again on the yellow an red? could it possibly be because the oil seems to have been baked at some stage its thick an burnt to the lid an inside engine it had not a drop of oil in it when i brought it? if thats the problem how could i fix it?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
What kind of oil are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
castrol magnatec
#7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
If you're having problems with engine sludge, you could try a product called auto-rx...but if you're serious that oil is baked on to the inside of the engine in yucky crusty way, and that there wasn't a drop of liquid oil at the last oil change...that's not a good sign for the longterm viability of your engine.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yea its yucky an crusty under the cap an stuck to the sides have no idea how he managed to get it that way! Ive been told to give it a engine flush b 4 i do next oil change but not shure if thats a good idea or not? how do you think it got this way ?
#9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Neutral Member

basrite is on a distinguished road
I performed my previous oil change myself and did the reset. But I chose well on brand etc.

It all comes down to how you drive the car. It will detect alot of high revs, or low revs high load etc and adjust the service interval to make those green lights go away.

Do yourself justice and use good oil.. will last longer.. but wont change the intervals between changing.

The key to this is: dont rev it like crap all the time.. and dont put your foot down all the time below 2500 rpm. If the computer detects this, it will ask for an oil change quicker.

J.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
n00b

bmw983 is on a distinguished road
NB castrol magnatec not good idear in bmw

castrol magnatec Dont used it is only semi synthetic u need full synthetic like Mobile 1. castrol magnatec as example that is why i it coimin out black or brown i leant tht from one expeince dont get it ... Get Mobile1 full and it will last longer i could avg 8,500 give or take tht was start and stoping with Mobile one btw if u an afforrd bmw u can afford the oil is propery requires as min . even though they recond u can used castrol magnatec dont i learn hard way and only got like not even 1,000 outta it and i only got 1 liter after change with it ..

Look At your owner manual as well for requirements ... one on my friends is bmw service tech .. and i have still keep update with TIS,ETK software ...
#11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
oh really well that explains alot will have to change oil. I thort there was somthing seriously wrong with it an was thinkn of selling it lol...
hopfully this works coz i really dont wana get rid of it..

hey buy the wy how do u post pics up on ur messages?
#12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 AM
n00b

bmw983 is on a distinguished road
woundl know lol i mostly just used free storage servce then post link but should be infomration in faq .. i have used the site in ages sence i sold the bmw i had still miss it and each time i head to our holiday place i see it around and think of time i had ... so want anther one .. .. and also i give it few kms like not even 5,000 and check it with the mobile 1 as well .. just 2 see if there iis not any worest problems .. i sold mind 1996 with 240000 allways used mobile one .. i tryed magtaic once to prove point to guy and thts what happend 2 mind lol .. lucky only keep it in for like 1,000 lol .. but it i also found Diy with doin own oil change work out easy on long hand when i was like over 3 hrs + to nearest bmw dealership i
#13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yea i will defently give mobil 1 ago ae fingers crossd it works lol
just starting to do it up an allready got all the rims,kits,lights,interior,etc,etc would be gutted if the engine was poked!!!
even tho id kinda love an excuse to put a v8 lexus in it lol
an man doing the oil change urself is so eazy why wouldnt ya do it also gives ya chance to check owt if any thing else needs doing wile ur under there lol

Last edited by HU$TLA; 02-20-2009 at 12:47 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Neutral Member

garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
Ide Seafoam it while im at it. 110k on my baby and seafom made her seem like she had 5k. no leaks but ran absolutely fantastic.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Neutral Member

martyyyn is on a distinguished road
I do not think its because of castrol magnatec, your engine has crusted up, I would guess its due to previous neglected oil changes, even though the oil debate ref fully/semi etc may will always be down to preference, these car are good with fully synthetic no matter what miles............

i would consider flushing it out, but do it with care & do not over rev it while doing so...

Good luck,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)