BMW Werkz banner

Oil Change

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bigred318 
#1 ·
Ive got 1998 318TI. I bought the car back in June of this year and havent had any maintenance on it yet. THe service reminder thing in the dash has been on 2 yellow bars from the day that I bought it. It was bought in June, but there have only been about 4000 miles on it since then. Im a little confused...shouldnt the service computer tell me that I need an oil change? I am going to get a oil change first thing on Monday regardless of the trip computer cause its been more than enough miles, but I still wanna know if there might be a problem with the computer.

I am planning on buying one of those service reset tools for $50 from a website. I know that generally oil changes are supposed to run every 3 months/3000 miles, but I decided to give the on board service computer a shot, and it didnt seem to work. I think that what I am gonna do is buy the tool this weekend from a website and get it shipped express, then oil change on monday and as soon as the tool gets here Ill reset the computer and see what happens. I had a friend of mine check the dipstick and the oil color seems to point to change time.

There is no way in hell that I am going to take it to my dealership (see topic "Damages to loaner car"), so I have to take it to another place, but they dont have a service reset tool.
Anybody else got a similar problem? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a lot!

See less See more
#2 ·
change it yourself dude. Its very simple, and you can save money. All you need is a 10mm socket wrench and you're good to go. There is a DIY reset in the FAQ section that does not require you to buy a tool.

#3 ·
yeah most places you take it too dont know how to reset your computer, so you might as well change it yourself, and reset the thing, since they wont. You will save about 30$ too! go to the faq forum, theres something there to tell you how to reset it, something with two pins you gotta push in, im going to do it soon for my computer too!
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.