oil change! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
318itx is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
oil change!

hey, getting my first oil change in this car. what is the usual oil that they use in the bmw's? is it synthetic or just regular 10w30? i know the filters are a bitch. but im wanting to make sure i put the correct oil in before i go and get this done.i was going to go to the dealership, but for 90 bucks i think i'll pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

BMW Kraft is on a distinguished road
doesn't jiffy lube work fine?

yeah i need to change my oil 2, and for the first time

'92 318i - Bilstein Sport Tuned Suspension, Performance Tuned Chip
///BMW=-
#3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
well shit i dunno. i was gonna take it to a jiffy lube place, but wasn't sure what kind of oil the bmw's took or whatever.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I put synthetic (Mobil1 5w30) on my e36, but it is not necessary. I do my own oil changes because I don't trust Jiffy-Lube places and the like. I hear stories about them not letting all the oil drip, or just topping the oil off. The one time I took my car to Wal-Mart, they looked very confused, plus I had to provide the filter (that one cost me about $15 at Autozone). Just get good, high quality regular oil (don't go for the cheap stuff). Changing the oil on my 6-cyl has never been too much trouble, but I don't know if it is any harder on a 4-cyl.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
well cheapest i found it was 60 bucks. i believe my car already has synthetic oil so its a good idea to stick with it. i still am unsure what ima end up doing..
#6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

BMW Kraft is on a distinguished road
is there a DIY on how to change the oil?

'92 318i - Bilstein Sport Tuned Suspension, Performance Tuned Chip
///BMW=-
#7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318itx
well cheapest i found it was 60 bucks. i believe my car already has synthetic oil so its a good idea to stick with it. i still am unsure what ima end up doing..
Yeah, stick with synthetic if that is what you have. The cheapest what is $60? I always get two 5-quart jugs of Mobil1 5w30 at Wal-Mart for about $20 each, and a filter online for about $7. I use a little under 7 quarts, so my total cost is about (7/10)*($40) + $7 = $35.

It is easy: jack the acr up, put drain pan in place, remove drain plug, lower the car, wait for oil to drip, take out old filter while waiting, replace with new filter while waiting, reinsert drain plug (may need to raise car again), top off with oil, dispose of oil and filter properly (I take them to Wal-Mart).

For a proper DIY:
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36oilchange

#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i've never done a filter change like that one exactally..could you be more specific about the filter. i saw how it looks and it is ALOT different then my rx7
#9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
Usually at wal-mart or pep boys or what ever, they will have one of those computers that tell you specificly what filter you need for your make, year, model etc. or you could just google it and then go buy one at walmart

#10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318itx
i've never done a filter change like that one exactally..could you be more specific about the filter. i saw how it looks and it is ALOT different then my rx7
I had never done a filter change before I did mine. What are you so concerned about? The housing unscrews easily (I bought a 36mm socket). The filter pulls right off. Then you just put a new filter in and screw the thing back on. It is even very easy access, from above the car and everything -- no bending over or getting under the car or anything like that. If you have ever done any kind of an oil change on a motor vehicle bfore, this should be no problem.

#11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ohh ok. the person made it sound like it was alot worse. where exactally is it located? just so i know. thanks!
#12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36oilchange

wow i feel dumb. thanks guys, this should be alot cheaper
#13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:54 PM
drz
Administrator

Definitely. Compared to the dealership's prices, I save $90 per oil change.

#14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Mobil1. It shouldn't cost more than $50... otherwise you're being ripped.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ya thats how much they said. now..one place said they'd do it for 60. its a bmw mercedes, audi work place called stuggart auto

should i still do it myself? or is that pretty close to what i'd be paying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)