BMW Werkz banner

Odd Radio Code Trouble

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  24valve 
#1 ·
So here's the usual scenario: we replaced the battery, and now the stock BMW Business Stereo displays "CODE -----", a loving prompt to input the 5-digit security code.

We bought the BMW used and it came with very complete documentation, including two copies of the "Anti Theft Radio Security Card" and a "BMW Radiopass" for the CD changer that now doesn't work. So we tried the code listed on the Anti-Theft cards, but here's the rub: it doesn't work. Tried it several times until it went into "CODE WAIT," waited an hour, tried it again, and it still doesn't work.

Am I going to have to pay the bloodsucking dealership $50 for them to "figure out" my code for me, or can I do it myself somehow? Or is the lack of correspondence between the given code and the radio's code mean a problem that'll cost even more? Cheers!

#4 ·
Go get a new stereo....

I wouldn't even waste the $50 at the dealer. Invest the money in a new more modern CD stereo that'll play everything and sound MUCH better than that stock POS. It may be a replacement radio anyway. Did you pull it out and see if someone wrote the Code on the frame of the radio? They're not worth stealing so it's usually safe to write the code on the thing.

-Mike

#5 ·
///M Power said:
When you do this hour long wait, is this an hour with the car on or just an hour waiting time?
Now here is another odd thing: I think it's just an hour waiting time. I turned the car (and radio) on about an hour after the first "CODE WAIT" appeared, and the car had only been on for ten minutes when "CODE -----" showed up once again. I thought this was really strange because from what I've read in the radio manual and everywhere online, turning off the radio restarts the wait period.

"CODE -----" appeared once again about an hour afterwards, and the radio hadn't been turned off in that period.

#6 ·
Hamfisted said:
I wouldn't even waste the $50 at the dealer. Invest the money in a new more modern CD stereo that'll play everything and sound MUCH better than that stock POS. It may be a replacement radio anyway. Did you pull it out and see if someone wrote the Code on the frame of the radio? They're not worth stealing so it's usually safe to write the code on the thing.

-Mike
I would consider it, but I simply don't have the money to replace it. There are several other items that demand attention first (touchup paint on the door jamb, demanding that the collision repair company repaint the trunk that they fucked up royally through a half-ass sanding job, new headliner). I haven't yet pulled it out to see if the code is there, I will perhaps do that when I come back to the car in two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.