BMW Werkz banner

OBDII to OBDI conversion--- is it worth it?

16K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jllphan 
#1 ·
Time and Time again in this forum I have read comments that it best to convert your OBDII bimmer to OBDI if you are interested in making performance modifications to your Bimmer.

Im curious as to where all the benefits lie with this conversion.... are the increases in performance amplified with the OBDI conversion with other addon's?

Im debating making some performance upgrades to my OBDII bimmer and with my budget Im not sure if the investment in the conversion to OBDI is worth it?

Budget $2500
Shark injector --->$399 http://dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=14&...ne%20Tuning#888
CAI----> undecided (~350)
M50/S50 Intake Manifold-- $579 http://www.m3motorwerks.com/products/descr...php/II=221/PA=0
Undrive Pulley kit--->$249 http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...DUCT_ID=EVO-PP1
I actually recommend this mod to everyone--- you get a $64 refund when you return one of the extra pulley's they send you (they send you 2 pulleys for you alternator... just in case you don't want to underdrive it) Making it $180 mod for ~10hp and ~10lb torque!
UUC exhaust---$679---> http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...UCT_ID=SUE36DTM

~$2200 (that leaves $300 to buy a girlfriend a nice gift so I won't 'hear it' for spending all this money on my other baby :cheers

If I go with the OBDI conversion then basically I will need to chuck Intake Manifold, & Pulley Kit just to make the budget........
Is this conversion still worth it for those of us that a modding on a budget?

Thanks for the input
NL :gulp

See less See more
#2 ·
As I understand, the ECU also goes back to OBDI, allowing you to chip it rather than shark it, so thats an extra 200 in your pocket there.

#4 ·
I did ask him once,

The link he provided for the mod was $1100. Thats why Im questioning spending almost half my budget on the one mod.

$1100 for the mod +$265 for the chip vs. $400 for the shark

#6 ·
I believe that particular intake was modified to fit the 2.8 liter engines.

I plan on calling them on Monday to confirm before (and if) I decide to order....

Will post back :)

NL

#7 ·
I wanted to go back to OBD1 too, but then you can't sell your car =/

Not to mention if your car gets a police check they're going to impound it, oh, and you'll have to pay a couple hundered bucks to pass smog depending on where you live.

#9 ·
Well my car is registered in the NYC metro, so emissions is an issue.

I know my mechanic will hook me up, he has before..... but I don't want to make modifications that would adversely effect the resale value of the car like that

#12 ·
Originally posted by mmzcee@Sep 19 2004, 02:01 AM
practially any modifcation to the car will lower resale value...

I personally think an OBDI conversion is pricey and doesn't bring about much gain...but if you got extra cash, go for it :thumbs
Dually noted,

Im aware the fact that making modifications to a car CAN have an adverse effect to the resale value of a car.

Since, I live in Manhattan, and this car basically sits in a garage 26 of 30 days in the month I expect the car will be around for awhile.... hell thats why I bought a 96 that I could pay cash for instead of a 2003 on loan. But, its one thing to add mods (CAI, underdrive pulley, intake, exhaust, shark) that may hinder its resale then make a total conversion (OBDII to OBDI) that makes the vechile impossible to sell because it won't pass NY emissions.

#14 ·
so why would people do an obd1 to obd2 conversion, would you do it just to be able to chip your car, obd2 was made because of new emmissions laws, everything dealing with emissions had to be controlled by the computer, i still don't see why someone would do this to their car, can someone post a reason for it not more reasons against it, which is what the original question was

#15 ·
Sorry I didnt' see this thread earlier, maybe I can help clarify a bit....

Yes doing this conversion is illegal. So is adding a free flow stainless steel exhaust. Or going with aftermarket software (a chip). But there is no way anyone who could do anything about this would ever know. I have a very strict emissions testing process residents of middle TN must go through, and I have had no problems at all.

Secondly, it's very well worth the money, because in addtion to a 30 hp gain (yes, a true 30hp gain on the M52 2.8L), it gives you a much improved throtle body, airbox, and the ability to gain even more power by giving one the ability to add custom software.

And for those who don't know, the conversion consists of the following...

The OBDII-OBDI conversion is a complete intake/engine management change. The air flow meter, throtle body, air box, intake, wiring harness, dme, etc. are all taken from the '92-95 cars and replace the more restrictive OBDII components.

#17 ·
Originally posted by jllphan@Sep 19 2004, 11:12 AM

Yes doing this conversion is illegal. So is adding a free flow stainless steel exhaust. Or going with aftermarket software (a chip). But there is no way anyone who could do anything about this would ever know. I have a very strict emissions testing process residents of middle TN must go through, and I have had no problems at all.

Secondly, it's very well worth the money, because in addtion to a 30 hp gain (yes, a true 30hp gain on the M52 2.8L), it gives you a much improved throtle body, airbox, and the ability to gain even more power by giving one the ability to add custom software.

The OBDII-OBDI conversion is a complete intake/engine management change. The air flow meter, throtle body, air box, intake, wiring harness, dme, etc. are all taken from the '92-95 cars and replace the more restrictive OBDII components.
30 Ponies eh? Now it makes more sense as to why people push to this modification on this site.

You posted a link once to OBDII to OBDI mod and prices Jillipan. Mind posting it one more time so I can take a look?

#18 ·
Originally posted by jllphan@Sep 19 2004, 09:12 AM

jllphan
you should stick a a link of your mods in your sig... kinda like pres and his diys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.