BMW Werkz banner

OBDII convert to OBDI???

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  robbins6103 
#1 ·
Okay, I have a 1998 328i (OBDII), I was thinking about converting it over to the OBDI. About how much is it, what will it do for me, is it an easy install, and what do you people with it think about it?

-Dustin

#2 ·
the OBDII-OBDI conversion is a complete intake/engine management change.

The air box and intake are from the '92-'95 cars and are bigger than what would
normally be on the 2.8. this includes the air flow meter, throtle body, air box, intake, wiring harness, dme, etc.

This can be purchased in a kit from Zionsville Autosport and is very well worth it. Those guys are great and can answer any other questions you might have...{HERE}

#4 ·
Maybe. Depends. Good question. I'm guessing you got your CAI for a M52 328 application? The airbox is a little different between 95 and 98. But that wouldn't really matter. It would depend on the fitting of the intake itself. Got pics? Better yet, does your airbox look like this the one in this thread ? {HERE}

#6 ·
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo@Jul 4 2004, 04:27 PM
he probably has the long cai c/f intake correct?
Yeah, I'm sure. I don't think Dinan makes anything else for that application. What I'm curious of is what the oem looks like. If they look the same, the Dinan will work with either stock OBDII or with the conversion to OBDI.

#7 ·
Yeah I purchased the Dinan CAI for the M52 2.8L off of ebay so it hasn't come yet. Yeah my airbox looks like the one in the picture. I'm guessing the Dinan Intake will replace that whole box leading up to the throttle body...correct?

#12 ·
Originally posted by bitcore@Jul 5 2004, 05:53 PM
Omg that's redicuious expensive :p
Yes it is, but here is my justification for it. CAI are functional, but they are largely asthetic. Based on that, why not a cool CarbonFibre unit from Dinan. I mean, if you want something for looks as much as function (a CAI for example, IMO), why not go for the gusto.

#14 ·
I think Bitcore was saying it was a lot for what you get, not that $340 is a lot of money-LOL. IT's just that you can make one or find one much cheaper. Many would argue that the Dinan is a rip off. I stick by my conviction that if you are gonna get one, esthetics are key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.