obd1 or 2? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sidewinder is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
obd1 or 2?

hi newbee here! just a quick question: i have a august 96 euro 328i sport AT is it obd 1 or 2?
will i need a remap or a chip? as i am aquiring the BBTB/M50manifold/SSprint de-cat(o2 sims??)/larger T304 headers/CAI/UCC pulley kit

will US M cams fit too? i have been told with all these mods M3 performance is not far away, i would be looking to make 240bhp 255torque, does this sound right?

any help would be app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 AM
/Banned

preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder
hi newbee here! just a quick question: i have a august 96 euro 328i sport AT is it obd 1 or 2?
will i need a remap or a chip? as i am aquiring the BBTB/M50manifold/SSprint de-cat(o2 sims??)/larger T304 headers/CAI/UCC pulley kit

will US M cams fit too? i have been told with all these mods M3 performance is not far away, i would be looking to make 240bhp 255torque, does this sound right?

any help would be app
I can tell u that ur car is OBD II
#3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I know that US-spec cars were required to be OBDII-compliant starting with model year 1996. European models were not required to comply until 2002. However, since they use the same engine, maybe the Euro 328i also runs OBDII. I am sorry I cannot be of more help.

preyash, do you have any way of backing up your post? Please just give us some reassurance that you know with certainty what the situation is for Euro models. I know it will come in handy in the future.

#4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
this is why i asked the question, there is a cloud over this one. the car has full check control and there is a screw top port in the engine bay, just by the intake manifold. someone on BWERKS reckons its obdI and the performance gains are reachable. they say if i want the forced induction obdI is the way forward too, and that theM52 will handle 15-20+ boost on standard internals.

but if it turns out to be obd2 surely there is some kind of JC shark software for the euro models (U.K.) also auto transmission software?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Hmmm. I guess anyone who has chipped their OBDI should be able to tell if their ECU looks different from yours. I mean, I hope there are physical differences that distinguish them from each other.

Look for the OBDII port inside the car, underneath the steering wheel -- it is a small, wide, trapezoidally shaped connector. It may be found behind a small plastic cover that may or may not be labeled 'OBD'

SInce your car is RHD, I would also check under the glove box, just in case.

If yoyu have an in-cabin OBDII port, then your car is almost certainly OBDII.

Yes, tehre is firmware available for the OBDII engines anyways, as well as for the tranny.

Even if it is OBDII, you can still give it tha much boost asnd get the torque and hp numbers you quoted earlier. (Plus, you can always do an OBDI conversion).

#6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
ur 328 is obd2, when the engine changed, so did the software that ran it...
so u will need to shark inject it, u cant chip it....but do the software last....
ur mods should work but make sure to do softare last, and as far as cams go, US S52 cams should drop right in...

#7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the answers guys! i got in touch with a live re-map company who ran the chassis and model online, the care is OBD II.
ive purchased half the bolt-ons, just got to get o2 sims for the M50 manifold, headers/de-cat.
am waiting until i aquire all the upgrades then get them fitted in 48 hours and take it for a live remap, the cost is sick but well worth it.

speeding fines rape your insurance premiums in the U.K. so hence the 328 not the M3 that i could of brought, thats why im getting it tuned to match the speed with the spare cash. 80% of the mods wouldnt be noticed by the insurance ""agents'' in the event of a crash.

thanks for the info again guys!

this is one car that will keep my M3 dream alive (pref e30 M3 Evo Sport)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder

BBTB are overrated. Unless you bore out the opening to the m50 manifold I dont see the benefit.

T304 Headers? I guess you are tlkign abotu stainless steel here.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
BBTB are overrated. Unless you bore out the opening to the m50 manifold I dont see the benefit.

T304 Headers? I guess you are tlkign abotu stainless steel here.
yeah SS headers, or just get the M3 ones.

also i have no idea of my final drive ratio on the diff, is there any whay of telling?

at the moment its a bit like a sunday driver ZZZzzzzzzzzz, what diff would any of you guys recommend for 0-100 and light track?

thanks agen!
#10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
SS headers arent a bad idea. Although OBDII m3 ones are about as beneficial.

In the US the 95 Model M3's had a 5 speed with a 3.15 LSD with 25% lockup. I'm not sure whether the Euro Spec followed the same with their 95 spec 5 speeds.

As far as LSD recommendations go i'd recommend a LSD with 40% lockup. Now my buddy has run a 3.23 M3 LSD, a 3.46 aftermarket, a 3.64 aftermarket, and a 3.76 aftermarket (current). All this post open diff on his 328. Then we just recently installed a 2.93 LSD on a turbo m3 last week.

Do you plan on forced induction in the future? If you plan on going turbo it's beneficial to the tubro to have taller gearing, not only for traction but also to build boost. If you plan on a S/C it's beneficial to get shorter gearing, but not too short otherwise you could destroy any chance for traction.

The 3.64 is a nice setup for a weekend car and probably the one i'd recommend to you. I'm a person who loves tall gears so it's hard for me to recommend that to you. The 3.46 just wasnt a big enough jump in acceleration for us to believe it was worth the price.

Some good moderately priced companies in the US that do Diffs are Metrix racing and also Metrix Motorsports. Metrix motorsports would probably be more cost effective.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)