Now I'm really confused... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
WHat is H4 beam? Is it better then H7???

"Low Beam use H4 light bulb. High Beam use 9005 light bulb, You can change 4200K or higher Opti-Blue hyper-white bulbs or change real Xenon gas within the bulbs. "

That's from a manufacturer's website... does that make any sense?

Old 04-03-2004, 01:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Your trying to confuse everyone...
9005, H1, H4, H7, they are all just halogen bulbs. These versions that are "filled with xenon gas" is a bunch of crap. I've tried most of these and decided Sylvania (Silverstars) is the only company that makes decent replacement bulbs, but they are still not Xenon. You can buy Xenon kits, but that is something completly different.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Apr 3 2004, 03:35 AM
9005, H1, H4, H7, they are all just halogen bulbs. These versions that are "filled with xenon gas" is a bunch of crap. I've tried most of these and decided Sylvania (Silverstars) is the only company that makes decent replacement bulbs, but they are still not Xenon. You can buy Xenon kits, but that is something completly different.
Ahh.. I'm glad somebody understands this!

I can't stand the ricers who consider themselves bulb experts who tell me their H4 bulbs are filled with Xenon gas!

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
So basically, H4 bulbs aren't any better then H7? Or are they...
Old 04-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2471273942

These are H1 bulbs in them... are these good lights for the price? and I am aware that you get what you pay for but I don't have 500-600 to pay for lighting lol... that money is for wheels!
Also check these out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2471433304
Old 04-03-2004, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
If you look over recent threads concerning angel eyes, you will find my stern opinion more than once. I recently researched and purchased updated lighting for my car and came to the following conclusion. DONT GO CHEAP. If you dont have 600-800 to spend on new headlights, wait till you do. Talking to purchasers of cheaper lighting systems, i found a consistent answer that they leak, break, crack, and anything else you can come up with. I saved my money and bought ZKW ellipsoids. They are German oem assemblies. That is what to buy. Yes they cost more, but there is certainly justification for this. They are made better, they look better, they work better, they last longer, and generally are less prone to chiping and cracking. I origionally ordered Depos, but upon delivery, i realized that they are not made much better than the NA oem assemblies. If you don't have the money to go to umnitza.com and buy the whole set, just upgrade to ZKW ellipsoids, and add the angel eyes later, you will be glad you did!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
To poster's original question:

H1,H4,H7,9005, etc. are not varying grades of bulbs...rather they are just different size bulbs. Some cars use one size, some cars use others...simple as that.

An analagy (I hope), is to ask which battery is better: AAA, AA, C, or D? To which the answer is the same as the bulb question.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Mattitjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mattitjah
Quote:
Originally posted by frank3@Apr 3 2004, 04:19 PM
To poster's original question:

H1,H4,H7,9005, etc. are not varying grades of bulbs...rather they are just different size bulbs. Some cars use one size, some cars use others...simple as that.

An analagy (I hope), is to ask which battery is better: AAA, AA, C, or D? To which the answer is the same as the bulb question.
Finaly sombody explained it to the dude!!!
Mattitjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Apr 3 2004, 03:35 AM
Not to be a tool in search of credit for showing folks the light, but isn't that what i just said?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Mattitjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mattitjah
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan+Apr 3 2004, 06:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jllphan @ Apr 3 2004, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jllphan@Apr 3 2004, 03:35 AM
Not to be a tool in search of credit for showing folks the light, but isn't that what i just said? [/b][/quote]

Thats alright! The other dude just explained it a little clearer(I think).
Mattitjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Now I get it!!
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Apr 3 2004, 05:36 PM
If you look over recent threads concerning angel eyes, you will find my stern opinion more than once. I recently researched and purchased updated lighting for my car and came to the following conclusion. DONT GO CHEAP. If you dont have 600-800 to spend on new headlights, wait till you do. Talking to purchasers of cheaper lighting systems, i found a consistent answer that they leak, break, crack, and anything else you can come up with. I saved my money and bought ZKW ellipsoids. They are German oem assemblies. That is what to buy. Yes they cost more, but there is certainly justification for this. They are made better, they look better, they work better, they last longer, and generally are less prone to chiping and cracking. I origionally ordered Depos, but upon delivery, i realized that they are not made much better than the NA oem assemblies. If you don't have the money to go to umnitza.com and buy the whole set, just upgrade to ZKW ellipsoids, and add the angel eyes later, you will be glad you did!!!
Hey JllPhan,
What ZKWs did you get? You Angel Eyes look yellow in the picture and not blue like the umnizta website shows. I also saw they have two types of ZKW Angel Eye Ellipsiods. One is dubbed the "Madison Ave" and the Other is dubbed "Las Vegas" but I don't see the difference other than the parking lights are on with the "...Vegas" version Angel eyes. I'm looking for whitish and blueish LEDs in the Angel Eyes. Do they offer this and not the yellowish LEDs? Also do bulbs come with the set or not?

PS: That site is confusing. They throw a dozen different ZKW E36 light sets on the same page and they all seem to have the same name.

Thanks A Bunch.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
I purchased the ZKW's w/ DDE lightning enhanced. When ordering from umnitza (over the phone), I told them I wanted white. Not blue, green, red, or any other color. I plan to add xenons and wanted a ring to match. The yellowish tint you see is a combination of your monitor's white levels, and the camera that took the pic.

They do come with H1 bulbs, but I quickly replaced with Silvania Silverstars. They are the best available short of a xenon conversion.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
i just installed some slyvania xtra vision bulbs on my mom's cavalier and replaced her high beams, i was a little confused about the whole h1,h4,h7,9006,9005 thing but i quickly learned when i was shopping is that they aren't just different sizes they are different connectors too
Old 08-30-2004, 03:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Aug 29 2004, 06:43 PM
I purchased the ZKW's w/ DDE lightning enhanced. When ordering from umnitza (over the phone), I told them I wanted white. Not blue, green, red, or any other color. I plan to add xenons and wanted a ring to match. The yellowish tint you see is a combination of your monitor's white levels, and the camera that took the pic.

They do come with H1 bulbs, but I quickly replaced with Silvania Silverstars. They are the best available short of a xenon conversion.
Thanks.
I love your ride by the way. That black is sleeeeeek!
Peace

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)