BMW Werkz banner

Not a good day.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  94BMW325i 
#1 ·
Not a good day today. After running a few errands around town was heading home and was only two blocks away when a hell of a bad clonking sound came from under the bonnet.
Pulled straight over and stopped the car and opened the hood. Had a good look but could not see anything. The sound was not a motor sound so while looking under the hood i got the missus to give the car a quick start.
The fan (directly in front of the motor) was kicking around all over the place.

Anyway called a mate and we pushed the car home. I pulled out the radiator as I thought it had broken the belt but once i had it out the belt was off but not broken. A coupe of blades are now missing from the fan.

I am wondering what could have caused this , Looking down at the fan it looks like its on a slight tilt, not an up or down type of tilt but a slight one leaning inward right. Maybe this is how it sits as grabbing the fan there is no side to side movement or anything.

I have noticed in the last 4 or 5 days when i started the car and it was idling there was a slight vibration but at the time i did not really think anything of it.

What i think i am going to do is just put everything back together and call the local beemer workshop they can come and get it and i get it sorted properly. The car is covered by lumley so hopefully they will pickup the tab.

Would anybody know what may have caused the belt to jump ship. ???

its a 1996 323i import into new zealand.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a small update on this, I put everything back in this morning ready for them to come pick it up tomorrow and i was just reading about removing the belts and the fan.
I was thinking because the fan was all over the show maybe the pump has gone. I went back out and threw a 32mm on it and locked the shaft off and went to undo it and the whole this is moving all over the place which leads me to thinking the bearing has gone.
Do these have a bearing that can be replaced , That's why i think the belt has come off its because the water pump bearing has let go.
Not touching it any more anyway as that's what i pay Lumley insurance for, they can sort it out.

#5 ·
Most likely both. Might be a good time to do the fan delete mod, then the fan won't come apart again and do more damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.