noob injector question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dumguywithm60@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dumguywithm60@yahoo.com
(Thread Starter)
noob injector question

is the green nozzle necessary for the piston to fire? i was pulling out my fuel rail yesterday and the tip of my injector came off, no idea where the nozzle went but found the oring sitting on top of a valve after i removed the intake manifold (those lower brackets couldnt be harder to get to) however once i fired it up it im pretty sure a piston wasnt firing, not the nice idle im used to, now 4 fires, a space, then a shuttering fire of the last piston. im guessing the green nozzle is either needed or i really screwed something up while getting the oring, while putting it all back together one of the injectors came out a bit and squirted gas everywhere (surprisingly gas doesnt burn in your eyes) i know thats cuz the line is pressurized by the pump but is that enough to break an injector? because besides that the only difference now from how it was is the nozzle being gone. ive heard from a few people that it isnt needed but theres definitely something wrong with the way its firing. im guessing that the nozzle makes the fuel a vapor instead of just a drip and thats why its not firing, ive only ad the car started a good 30 seconds with this but should the gas not be igniting instead of not being delivered and just pooling, having it detonate wouldnt be good, its my daily driver so any help would be amazing. right now im in the process of getting a new one but thats not gunna be for a few days, if anybody has a stock injector they arent using pm me. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

the nozzle you lost is part of the atomizer design... yes it is an integral part of the injector for it to work properly. If you lost it and it found itself into the valves, it's possible it is holding a valve in open position or interfering with it's operation - thus, your complain that a cylinder isnt working.

you are also correct. an injector that drips fuel instead of atomizing it will cause a rough idle/sputter.

to replace that bad injector, you'll need to remove the manifold anywayz; so i suggest that when it's all out in the open, u carefully inspect and see that the missing piece isn't in your valves(the intake valves in particular because of the suction). Additionally, u can also open the valve covers and turn ur crankshaft by hand and see to it that all valves are operational before u put everything back in order

Good Luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)