Noisey Lifters? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Clint_M is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, i dont usualy get a lot of replys on here because i think im posting early in the UK and alot of people are from the USA so i gather, but ill try anyway :P

I have 3 strange "noise" problems with my 93 318i, none affect the performance of the car (as far as i can tell, im not sure what a 100% 318i is like, but the car pulls well still, and easily goes to 115).

The Noises are nevertheless:

a) annoying
B) worrying
c) see a

If anyone can give me any advice on any of these it would be a great help.

Noise #1 - Clutch Pedal / Dashboard vibrating noise.
===================================

Ok, this has been happening since i bought the car, i THINK it is the clutch cable (is there one?) vibrating against something inside the car, the deal is as follows. When i am driving at 50+mph periodicaly (intermittent) there is a buzzing noise from behind the instrument cluster, sounds like something vibrating really really fast against the back plastic or something.

I can stop the noise from occuring by placing my foot on the clutch pedal, not depressing it, simply placing my foot on it to stop the vibrations which occur at the pedal, the noise instantly stops, but may happen again (frequently does) if i take my foot off the pedal.

Noise #2 - Hydraulic lifters?
===================================

Ive seen a bit about this, but never any solution / helper, bar getting a camshaft overhaul.

Above 2,500rpm there is a tapping noise from the engine, its weird because im dead sure its a lifter noise, yet when i pop the hood and have someone step on the accelerator, the noise doesnt really become apparent, until you drive the car, then its noticable, might just be because the wind etc takes alot of noise away, but when im driving the car, its definatly a constant tapping/ticking which increases along with the RPM increase and decreases accordingly.

I tried filling my oil right up to the max line to see if it was a lubricating problem and the bits arnt getting enough oil, i might have an oil service done shortly, as i belive it is due, and try swapping to synthetic to see if it gets into the parts better.

Anyone got anything i can do in the mean time to ensure this doesnt get worse?

Noise #3 - Gear stick / plasticy tapping
====================================

Ok this has only started recently, when im driving sometimes there will be a plasticy tapping noise coming from the heater dashboard area, whilst trying to problem solve this, i happened to drive whilst holding the gear stick, hey presto, no noise.

This has stumped me, its like the gear lever is vibrating against something and causing a noise in the dash area, i have no idea what the hell this is, but it is annoying having to keep somekind of finger/limb on the gear stick to stop it vibrating as much so i can have a quiet drive, as quiet as it can be with noisey lifters anyway.

As you can see, i dont think any of these are detrimental to the car's performance itself, but i would love to get these sorted so i can enjoy driving my car again without having to have the stereo on to mask the noise.

If anyones got any ideas here about what any of these could be, how i could go about fixing them or any info at all it would be really really appreciated, i just want to get on with enjoying my car, and not have to listen to weird plasticy rattles and lifter noises, nor do i want to have to keep my foot touching the clutch pedal :|

Help
Clint_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
anyone?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
must be someone who knows something about any of these problems, if anyone has any info at all it would really help.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)