No Battery Voltage to Starter - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
singring is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
No Battery Voltage to Starter

My daughter's 1995 318i crapped out again. She said the idle was a little erratic, then the car stalled. The car had been running for about half an hour by that time, so it was at operating temperature and she had no problem initially starting the car this morning. After the stall she could not get the starter to turn over.
I tried to start it, and although the ignition key turns fine, and the dash lights come on, at the third ignition position nothing happens. There is no relay, or solenoid noise, no "clicking" sound...nothing. I have checked the fuses, and they are fine.

Yesterday, I took her car for a wash, but was careful not to get too much water on the windshield area above the DME housing. The production date of the car is May 1995, and BMW says that the DME flooding problem was fixed by that production date, but I am still careful about that anyway.
Yesterday, I also sprayed a little graphite spray into the ignition because occasionally the ignition key would not turn in the ignition. Now the key turns fine, but could I have damaged the ignition lock set by using that spray? Would that have caused a poor electrical connection in the ignition?

This car has been running fine for the last two weeks. Before that, the ignition coil-pack had burnt out on cylinder #2, which toasted a transistor in the DME. The ignition coil-pack has been replaced, and I bought a DME from an auto salvage. I exchanged the EPROM chip for the EPROM chip from the original DME, and all worked well, until today.

One other thing, before we bought the car 2 months ago, the starter had been replaced, however, I don't think there is any voltage getting to the starter relay, or the starter now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
check to see that the alternator is charging the battery properly, also maybe try cleaning the ICV (Intake Control Valve, fixes some idling issues) here is a DIY link... http://www.bmwe36tips.20m.com/unstable-idle.htm

hope that helps!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
According to the Bentley.
The starter relay and the starter immobilization relay are behind the left footwell speaker grill or left footwell. Also check fuses #26 and #28.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
As usual in these cases suspect the battery first. Try jumping the car. If the car still won't turn over, temporarily replace the battery with a known good one. If the car still won't turn over, and you have checked the fuses, begin looking at the wires from the battery, particularily the ground wire for corrosion and breaks. That should solve the problem, but if not you can then begin looking at the ignition switch etc.
Years ago I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Car started, ran for half an hour, stopped for gas, wouldn't start. The battery had developed an internal short and was so dead it wouldn't even allow the car to be jumped with a massive AAA system. Went to alot of trouble and expense before I replaced the battery and solved the problem. Learned my lesson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)