BMW Werkz banner

Newbie Needs Help!

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SBSD 
#1 ·
Hi all, first post so please be gentle. :D

Bit of a strange one this, as per topic title the car in question is an early E36 318i se Auto, (M40 lump). The motor runs as smoothe as a smoothe thing when cold, but as the needle on the temp gauge starts to move up slowly (starts just as it hits the top of the blue), I get a judder at standstill...

Car pulls away nice and smoothe, drives lovely gearchanges feel fine and it pulls well (as well as an M40 can) :D but when I come to a standstill at a junction, or traffic lights etc, the idle speed is a little up and down and the car starts to judder, as if its trying to pull away. This happens if I apply the footbrake or handbrake in either P, N or D at standstill so obviously not a tranny problem.

I've given the ICV a good clean up (found an article on the net regarding that one) and no difference. Any ideas what to think about next?

Any and all input appreciated.

Cheers. :thumbs

See less See more
#4 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Feb 12 2005, 03:33 PM
could have a clogged vacuum hose somewhere.  that's almost what it sounds like.  Could also be an O2 sensor going bad.  have you pulled codes yet?
[snapback]290542[/snapback]​
Thanks for that.

Yeah, I was thinking O2 sensor next. I'll whip it into a local garage next week, don't think its a substancial enough problem to be paying through the nose at the $tealers! :uggh

have you pulled codes yet?
I don't have the obc for fault codes, nor access to diagnostic equpt. so thats out of my reach unfortunately. :confused

I'll see what the mechanic says next week, thanks for the help so far. :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.