BMW Werkz banner

Newbie with 316i Heater problem

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Barmac 007 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm new here and hope somebody can give me some help. I've had a look at a lot of posts and clearly there are some very clever and helpful people around. In fact well done on a great site.
I've quite recently acquired a 1995 316i Compact. 76k full history which was meant to be just a cheap motor to get me through a lean patch. But meets my needs so well I think I'll be sticking with for some time.
The only problem is that the heater is pretty pants. The car does take some time to get up to temp. The coolant was low but is now at the correct level. Bringing the level up has meant the problem has got worse, i.e. it takes longer to warm up and loses temp quite quickly when speed drops. If I'm motoring along at 70 the temp is just below centre, slow down for an island and it's back to around 10 o clock.
The actual heater takes ages to work but if you put your hands close to the vents is giving quite warm air, just not much of it. It's best when pointed directly at you but if on screen or floor really bad. Even on 4 when you can hear the fan sounding like a washroom hand drier!
Any ideas?
For the record I've also got an F800S which I've had all the recalls on if anybody is having woes and wants to compare notes.
Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like a thermostat issue, "stuck open".....explains why it takes long to warm up...for when the car sits without being started (cold)....the thermostat starts out closed, no coolant circulation, thus engine warming up faster. Also, explains stuck open always, too much circulation too much cooling....no heat.

BMW E36 Thermostat Removal And Coolant Flush

johnny,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.