New and need help - 1993 325IS stalls when you give it gas - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bgould is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New and need help - 1993 325IS stalls when you give it gas

I am new here and am hoping that you guys can offer some sugestions. I have a 1993 BMW 325IS. The other day when I started it, it had a rough idle for about a minute and then cleared up. I drove the car another 30 miles and it started running rough again. It will start and idle but as soon as you give it gas it starts to die almost like it is not running on all cylinders. The exhaust also smells like gas and is smokey (white or gray smoke) when you step on the gas. The car has 137000 miles and has been running great until this. If you guys need any other information please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
any check engine light?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Smelling like gas... and smokey. Can you keep the car running even with the problem? Does the idle stay rough? Any strange noises during the problem? The CEL will help tell us if it is a sensor.

It sounds like you are having a problem with combustion. Possibly a problem with your spark plugs. Let us know about the CEL and we can go from there. If you want to go ahead and check your spark plugs. Look for any build up on any of the plugs, oil or anything out of the ordinary.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The check engine light came on the day that this first happened when I was trying to drive the car home. It would come on and then go off. Now it does not come on, but I have not tried to drive it either, just starting it in the driveway.
The plugs were a shiny black, no oil on them. I cleaned them with my wire wheel on my bench grinder but that did not help at all, the car still runs the same. I will replace them today and post the outcome.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:56 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
If they were clean and no oil or anything in there you don't need to. See if you can get the codes read... but that might be tough if it doesn't run right now.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I changed the plugs and it still runs the same. The car will idle but when you step on the gas it stalls until you let off of the gas. Any ideas or anything else I can check? What are the chances that it is getting to much gas?
#7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 AM
n00b

residentdreamer is on a distinguished road
idle, stalling, and bad smells...

just trying to find out what's wrong with my 95 325i and I came across your post. My problems started a couple of months ago exactly like yours. Started car, rough idle out of no where, bad smell, and then pressed gas and killed it completely. I did see and read the engine code though, it said there was a problem with the O2 sensor, located on the exhaust directly in front of the catalytic convertor. Now this will sound odd, but I read somewhere at the time to disconnect your battery cable for a few minutes. I did this and it actually fixed the problem immediately for quite a while, it happened again weeks later, and I did it again, fixed it again. I did actually replace the O2 sensor since then, though it's hard to tell if it has had an effect.

Recently, the engine is very unhappy it idles unsteady and stalls alot, going to check plugs tomorrow. It runs fine at highway speeds, just go tback from thousand mile trip, just troubled at stoplights. I also have noticed the these problems have happened when I've been running on fumes, and just after filling up the tank. In fact yesterday, the car wouldn't start at all right after I filled up the tank from near dead empty. Took five minutes of trying before it started.

I'd appreciate any insight from anyone as well, thanks.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

chinonca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgould View Post
I changed the plugs and it still runs the same. The car will idle but when you step on the gas it stalls until you let off of the gas. Any ideas or anything else I can check? What are the chances that it is getting to much gas?
What does your air filter look like???
#9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The air filter is clean. One problem that I didn't mention was that every time I filled the car with gas it would have a strong odor of fuel inside and outside the car for a while. Sometimes a day. I haven't filled the tank for a few months because of this, but the day before all of this trouble started I did fill the tank. Not sure if they are related but it could be a clue.
Does anyone know if the code readers at Autozone will work on this car?
#10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgould View Post
The air filter is clean. One problem that I didn't mention was that every time I filled the car with gas it would have a strong odor of fuel inside and outside the car for a while. Sometimes a day. I haven't filled the tank for a few months because of this, but the day before all of this trouble started I did fill the tank. Not sure if they are related but it could be a clue.
Does anyone know if the code readers at Autozone will work on this car?
What year E34? How many miles on it?
#11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
1993 and it has 137000 miles. Never had any major problems.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have a little update. I found out how to check codes. I turned the key and hit the gas 5 times. The code was 1215 which is the mass air flow sensor. I bought some CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner and took the sensor apart and cleaned it. I put it all back together and the car started and reved just like it is supposed to and ran good. So the car is running fine again. I turned it off to go inside to get my cell phone (so I could take the car for a test drive-in case it broke down) came back out and started the car and it started running bad again. It will idle but when you give it a little gas it will rev but when you give it a lot of gas it dies. I checked the codes again and got 1256 fuel injector #6. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I'm stummped.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You probably have a faulty mass air flow sensor. Try tapping on the sensor as you accelerate the engine uf the idle changes the mass air flow sensor is bad.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I just tried. When I try to accelerate is when I have all of the problems. It all most sounds like it is missing. Tapping did not do anything. I do have a strong odor of gas.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

try removing the air filter from the box and run the engine and see if that makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)