BMW Werkz banner

New Member...... MAF CEL problem

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dannyb 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I am a new members and I am trying to get some answers or suggestions regarding a problem I am having with my 1992 e36. The problem started when I took the car to a car wash and it stalled out (DME got wet........ this was weeks ago so it doesnt affect whats going on now). After the car wash, one of the employees said he was a mechanic on the side and helped me try to get the car started (I knew nothing about the faulty DME housing back then and was desperate so I let him help me). Anyway he tried spraying starting fluid into the intake directly onto the MAF (wrong move........ I KNOW NOW!!!). The car eventually built up with fluid and the thing backfired almost taking the guys head off!!! When I got the car back to my house (by tow truck) I found out about the DME problem and dried it out. The car started right up after I reinstalled it but bogged terribly on idle and the CEL was on. I did a brake pedal test and it showed the code 1215 (MAF). After figuring this all out I went to a wrecker yard and got another MAF........ no change. Then I thought the new MAF was broken so I went back to the yard and got another MAF ........... no change. I decided to do some more research and I found a post that said the ICV or a vaccume leak could cause a MAF code. So, I did a ICV cleaning and checked my hoses and they all check out. Since the ICV cleaning the car runs well but the CEL is still on and there is a distinct smell of gasoline while it is running. Here is where I'm at. I dont know what else to do or to check (I also cleared all the codes in the car everytime I tried a new step and the CEL always comes on as soon as the car is started ........ always with a 1215 reading). Does anyone have any suggestions!!!!! I would really appreciate the help. thanks.

Sorry for the long post

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.