BMW Werkz banner

New foglight bulbs BLOW OUT 4 days after INSTALL!

3K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  WickedBimmer 
#1 ·
ok, guys remember I had a thread a week ago on that I was buying new fog light bulbs. They were through pro car parts, being bulbs, I didn't think they could be any different from another shop, so I bought them, charged me $30.00 for them shipped, and 4 days from install date, which is today, my passengers side BLOWS OUT on me.. Just a forewarn that DO NOT BUY FROM PRO CAR PARTS... Their parts are very very cheap and he will not warranty them for any reason. he told me that even if they blow when I first put them in that I am stuck with them... WHAT a rip guys... had to let you all know, watch your back..

#3 ·
Originally posted by 007ben@Mar 18 2004, 12:26 AM
if another set blows there may be an electiral problem of some kind.
another set won't blow.. my last set before then didn't blow at all and I had them installed for 6 months of constant use straight... They are just cheap ass bulbs, and pro car parts is a ripoff artist...

#4 ·
Well what brand were the bulbs? Sometimes these things are unpredictable. Plus, I doubt any company would give you warranty if they blew.

Bry

#5 ·
dude, they state in their ebay auctions that they back them with a lifetime warranty for any reason, no questions asked... What the hell do you think a warranty on a bulbs are good for if it doesn't cover them blowing.. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!....... I dunno.. the name on the bulbs don't say anything but PRO CAR PARTS.... they must be made by the dime a dozen rule......watever though... i'm going to call him tommorow and speak with him again... he needs to fix this problem, or else I'm going to take this to ebay for action since he's a power seller and claims on more than a dozen auctions he gives a lifetime warranty...

#6 ·
Originally posted by bimmerfan620@Mar 18 2004, 12:26 AM
dude, they state in their ebay auctions that they back them with a lifetime warranty for any reason, no questions asked... What the hell do you think a warranty on a bulbs are good for if it doesn't cover them blowing.. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!....... I dunno.. the name on the bulbs don't say anything but PRO CAR PARTS.... they must be made by the dime a dozen rule......watever though... i'm going to call him tommorow and speak with him again... he needs to fix this problem, or else I'm going to take this to ebay for action since he's a power seller and claims on more than a dozen auctions he gives a lifetime warranty...
lifetime warranty? If things ever sound too good to be true, they usually are. Why would someone sell bulbs with lifetime warranty? Bulbs will blow for sure, that means he constantly has to replace people's bulbs?

And Sylvania says they have lifetime warranty too, but it usually means against manufactuers defects, not normal wear and tear.

But I don't know what his promises were, I just don't think you should expect that much.

Bry

#8 ·
YUP....not even going to bother getting fancy replacement bulbs anymore... in the long run it's going to save me money to buy the HID kit, at least I'll be able to have something I know will be quality... ass crack PCP buttwankers..

#10 ·
Yea peopel already posted before about NEVER BU FROM PRO CAR PARTS...they suck...those bulbs may "fit" your ca, but they dont actually "fit" lol i love doing that

the bulbs are the same # as your orignals, btu these oens are probably runnign a higher wattage. I forget but i think u shud run fogs at 35 watts or sumtin? and lows at 55 watts. well those bulbs are probably above 80 watts. They say 6000K which is believe able, but when bulbs comes cheaper, expect them to be a hgih wattage. Many better bulbs look like say 100watts, but they are actually 55 watts that look liek 100 watts, which is what you want.

also, runnign such a high wattage can melt your wiring harness. BE CAREFUL, those are $$ to replace compared to your bulbs.

#11 ·
well all i can say is no bulb is gonna be lifetime, ligthbulbs just arent.
the longest i have ever gotten out of an aftermarket bulb was a set of sylvanias and they only lasted a year and 4 months , which is amazing.
4 days is not good at all, i would see about getting money back instead of getting replacements.
sorry to hear about the misfortune.

once again i say PCP is the worst company to buy from

#12 ·
In all fairness to crappy bulbs, I have had a pair (high and low) of "xenons" that worked well and have lasted 2 years. I got them thinking they would go out, but they didnt. I forgot who makes them, but it was some asian manufacturer.

#14 ·
YUP... I agree...

guys on a side note, check out the new ownage in the members forum..

#15 ·
well i'm off to bed for the night, all this fog light stuff has really tore me a new one tonight....... but not as bad as mikefliggity's.. lol.... i'll keep the situation at hand up to date for you guys...

#16 ·
Good is everyone asleep....

PRO CAR PARTS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! I TIHINK THEY ARE SOO COOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!

....yeah right, but I must say I bought those clear turn signal assemlies (Autozone...right preZ) and when one of those pieces of shit leaked, they replaced it for free no questions asked.

Ordering smoked oem's on monday. Don'buy the Hella XENON WHITE H1 repalcemnent bulbs, not very BRITE or WHITE!!!!!!!! 90 bucs for the 2 pair!

#17 ·
Me too, i have bad experience with aftermarket "white" bulbs..

Esspecially those really cheap ones that cost me about USD3.00 per pair.. hahhaa, they lasted for about 2days..

There is actually a precaution when fitting these bubls (any bulbs actually), which is you have to avoid touching the bulb head (the surface of the bulb) with bare hands. it is very sensitive as our hands are electrostatic, so it may shorten the lifespan of the bulb. This is what all mechanics told me before. Very common problem.

i'm back with stock yellow bulbs now, HELLA H1, they are about USD7.00 per pair.. and they work fine!! hahaha, i'm not going for any white bulbs anymore unless its a set of HIDs.

#18 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Mar 17 2004, 11:08 PM
I forget but i think u shud run fogs at 35 watts or sumtin? and lows at 55 watts. well those bulbs are probably above 80 watts. They say 6000K which is believe able, but when bulbs comes cheaper, expect them to be a hgih wattage. Many better bulbs look like say 100watts, but they are actually 55 watts that look liek 100 watts, which is what you want.

also, runnign such a high wattage can melt your wiring harness. BE CAREFUL, those are $$ to replace compared to your bulbs.
Foglights, low beam and high beam are 55W.

#20 ·
You guys should try Sylvania Silverstars. Those are the best bulbs out there. All my friends use them, they are street legal, they are actually blue (unlike cool blues) and they last a very long time. My stock sylvania/Osram bulbs on my '92 bimmer lasted more than 8 years! That's quality.

Bry

#21 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Mar 18 2004, 10:39 AM
You guys should try Sylvania Silverstars. Those are the best bulbs out there. All my friends use them, they are street legal, they are actually blue (unlike cool blues) and they last a very long time. My stock sylvania/Osram bulbs on my '92 bimmer lasted more than 8 years! That's quality.

Bry
those are gonna replace my sylvania cool blues next.

#22 ·
hey by any chance, did u Touch the bulb with ur bare fingers???

b/c if u did, even by mistake, the oil on u rfingers will acutally heat up on the out side, n it will blow the bulb, due to the fact that theres xenon gas within the bulb....

WickedBimmer

#24 ·
sorry, didn't happen here....I've known this rule since I was in the 4th grade, I never touch the bulbs themselves....... I pulled both of them out today and put my APC super whites back in.. The bulb doesn't even look blown at all anywhere... It's completely intact, the wire inside is hooked up still, so I have no idea how it is blown...but it is.... oh well, another one bites the dust...

#26 ·
yup....thats the first thing I checked, was to make sure the lights I put back in worked and my wiring wasn't bad.... and they do work, so I'm assuming maybe the bulb was faulty from the factory since it's such a cheap ass part...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.