New Fan belt - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eraj is hated around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to Eraj
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

I replaced the belts and the 2 plastic(?) pulleys about 2 months ago at the dealership. Now, the stupid belts are making a squeaky noise after maybe 3000km. They are not loose, and obviously not worn out, and stop squeaking for a few minutes if I put some water on them while the engine is running. Is there anyway to stop this? This is really annoying. I can't go back to the dealer as it's 600 km away. (I replaced this while on vacation in Montreal, and I'm in Toronto)

Thanks for your help

Eraj

2002 BMW 745 Li.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anyone out there? Guess no one has ever had this problem before. Well at least my car is unique. Thanks guys.

2002 BMW 745 Li.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:29 AM
n00b

rhyk325i is an unknown quantity at this point
you have no pay! B)
#4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not sure which motor you have in this vehicle. If it is the In line 6, then it is possible that the tensioner is worn and is not applying adequate pressure. It could also be that the belt is mistracking for saome odd reason like a manufacturingt defect and the ribs are not running true on the belt. However if you have the 4 cyclinder model I beleive but am not cewrtain that the belts are tensioned manually. If that is the case then your answer is almost certainly that your belts have stretched in and are in fact loose. As a last ditch effort you could try to spray a substance called belt dressing on the belts. If water is working this stuff might also do the trick. But ONLY after you rule out that the belts are not too loose and not slipping
#5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply. This is an inline 6 engine, and I checked, the belts are not loose. I guess I want to try the belt dressing thing. Do you know any trade names, or where I could buy this stuff? It's not the same as a dry lubricant, is it? I already tried a few stores for anything of this sort, but came up dry.

thanks again.

2002 BMW 745 Li.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

i dont know any brand names but you should be able to find a spray called belt dressing at any automotive store...
#7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Pal. I will try a few other stores right after work. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

2002 BMW 745 Li.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear Member

frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always heard bad things about applying dressing or sprays to a belt...can't remember why though.

You may want to use the dressing solution as a last resort because that only masks the problem and doesn't fix whatever's causing the squeeks (misaligned pulley, bad tensioner, incorrect pulley tension, wrong belts, etc.)

<span style='color:green'>1994 325i </span>- - - 75,000 mi.
No mods - - - very happy as is!
<span style='color:green'>1995 525i </span>- - - 154,000 mi.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
#9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frank3@Aug 31 2004, 12:53 PM
I've always heard bad things about applying dressing or sprays to a belt...can't remember why though.

You may want to use the dressing solution as a last resort because that only masks the problem and doesn't fix whatever's causing the squeeks (misaligned pulley, bad tensioner, incorrect pulley tension, wrong belts, etc.)
exactly what i said.. as a last resort. It is not usually a fix but hey maybe it was a cheapo belt... if it stays quiet for 10,000KM then hey it works... sometimes it is just cheaper to try a three dolllar soulution than swapping parts and spedning hours. clearly you need to monitor the condition of the belt closely for abnormal wear and also the idler pulleys for wear or friction....
#10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Good advice all-round. Under the car I will go with worklight and belt dressing in hand. thanks again.

2002 BMW 745 Li.
#11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eraj@Aug 31 2004, 02:18 PM
Good advice all-round. Under the car I will go with worklight and belt dressing in hand. thanks again.
Hmmm how about this? feeling adventourous? the AC belt is really really easty to get to. If you take it off, and the noise goes away, you have just narrowed down your problem considerable. If it doesn't... Well you know it isn't the AC compressor pulley or idler pully for it that is the problem, and you can concentrate on the other pulleys and accesories that are driven by the main belt.

How about you hold off on the belt dressing and lets see if we can find the problem. Unless you are really pressed for time it is only a a noise as far as we know right now, so it is not a big deal if it is noise for a few more days. I would rather help you get to the bottom of the problem than to advocate a band aid solution.

If you have any manual for this car, it should clearly indicate how change belts. the AC belt is a ten minute job, the main belt, a little harder to replace becuase of the fan blade being in the way, but in your case you are only going to inspect the parts, and maybe the belt. By the way even though you went to dealer, check to make sure that the belt is made by continental or another german company. even dealers go to cheap aftermarkets parts sometimes.
#12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:56 PM
n00b

gaijin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
If a dealership replaced the belts and pulleys a short while ago, I'd call them up and explain the symptoms. New belts don't normally squeal or squeek BUT a failed bearing on a pulley or in a driven device (alternator, AC Compresor, water pump) could intermittantly seize when it's cold and cause the belts to slip and squeal.

I'd look beyond the belts to the driven devices and pulleys that the dealer replaced.

Get someone else to start the car while you stand in front and try to locate the specific source of the squeek, ie, at the alternator, AC compressor, water pump, idler pulley or tensioner pulleys. You could use a short piece of tubing or hose and CAREFULLY (emphasis on CAREFULLY) place one end near the driven device and one end near your ear to pinpoint the noise source.

HTH,
Fred

PS: Check to see if there is any foreign substance on the ribbed side of the belts...like anti-freeze or oil. That will cause the belts to slip.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 07:33 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
You guys are the greatest bunch a newbee could ask for. Well I didn't get to read your posts after the last one I posted, but Maybe I forgot to tell you that my water pump died AFTER the belts were replaced and BEFORE the squeak started!!!!!!!!

So I went home yesterday, let the beast cool down and hosed down the belts and pulleys a couple of times with engine degreaser and good old H2o, lots of it. The noise comes from the main belt, which I knew because I sprayed water a couple of times before just on this side, and it stopped instantly. For good measure I sprayed a little bit of the belt dressing I picked up on the way, Motomaster, a red can and only $3.49 at canadian tire. Worked like a charm and quiet so far. I did inspect the pulleys, belt, took the radiator cover off and used a work light. Everything looks ok and new, no cracks on the belts of pulleys, no uneven wear etc. I think it's the antifreeze on the belts which ruined it. Also, I will inspect it maybe a couple of weeks later.

Will keep you posted. Again, Thanks a million for your help...Long live the forums!!!!!

2002 BMW 745 Li.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)