New Doors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hocuzanden is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i was in a poorly designed parking lot last night and clipped a pillar...i know, dumb move. anyway, i'm told that i need a new door, and am sure that i do. i know that i can get a used door pretty easily, but i thought i'd use this as an excuse to look at light weight aftermarket doors. i know that companies sell carbon fiber, plastic, and fiberglass doors, hoods, and trunk lids. i was wonder if anyone knew who the manufacturers are and if anyone can tell me how their fit and finishes are. thanks for the help!

-zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
are u kidding! i think thats a stupid idea...

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with cruzin... who told you that you need a new door? You "clipped a pillar"? Could u put up some pictures?
#4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

B3M2W5i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to B3M2W5i
yeah lets see 'em

Cashmere Beige Metallic
#5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
wow, gee, thanks for the positive reply. i think simply not responding to my plea for help would have been more than good enough. but i'll take your advice about my question being a stupid idea into consideration.

on a more productive note, i don't own a digital camera, so the pictures are a no go. what's more i wouldn't even know how to upload them to begin with. but trust me when i say i need a new door. i understand that pictures are incredibly helpful, but you guys will have to use your imagination. the scraps and dents run from the passenger door, starting under the door handle, and extend along the leading edge of the fender onto the wheel well and end at the tip of the bumper. so i guess i was misleading by saying i "clipped" a pilar. anyway, there is a safety support beam that runs the lenth of the door aobut an inch or two above the side molding. i managed to bend that.

but yeah, any information on aftermarket doors would be great. thanks for the swift replies and the help, or maybe lack there of.

-zach
#6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

dblmikeusa1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a new door from a salvage yard. The structural integrity is more the issue with a lightweight door, besides you are not racing and do not have a full cage to support components of that sort anyhow. I replaced one of mine and managed to sell all of the parts I did not need and the door became practically free; I did all of the work myself. The hardest part is getting the new door to line up with the body lines on the car.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by hocuzanden@Mar 8 2005, 08:05 PM
wow, gee, thanks for the positive reply. i think simply not responding to my plea for help would have been more than good enough. but i'll take your advice about my question being a stupid idea into consideration.

on a more productive note, i don't own a digital camera, so the pictures are a no go. what's more i wouldn't even know how to upload them to begin with. but trust me when i say i need a new door. i understand that pictures are incredibly helpful, but you guys will have to use your imagination. the scraps and dents run from the passenger door, starting under the door handle, and extend along the leading edge of the fender onto the wheel well and end at the tip of the bumper. so i guess i was misleading by saying i "clipped" a pilar. anyway, there is a safety support beam that runs the lenth of the door aobut an inch or two above the side molding. i managed to bend that.

but yeah, any information on aftermarket doors would be great. thanks for the swift replies and the help, or maybe lack there of.

-zach
[snapback]306859[/snapback]
Hey, I'm sorry. I wasn't ragging on you... just needed more info. Sorry that happened to you, that really sucks. I don't know anything about aftermarket doors, but I would suggest finding a regular one at a junk yard. You may have to call out of town to find what you're looking for, though.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 04:50 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by BeachBunny+Mar 8 2005, 10:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeachBunny @ Mar 8 2005, 10:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hocuzanden@Mar 8 2005, 08:05 PM
wow, gee, thanks for the positive reply.* i think simply not responding to my plea for help would have been more than good enough.* but i'll take your advice about my question being a stupid idea into consideration.*

on a more productive note, i don't own a digital camera, so the pictures are a no go.* what's more i wouldn't even know how to upload them to begin with.* but trust me when i say i need a new door.* i understand that pictures are incredibly helpful, but you guys will have to use your imagination.* the scraps and dents run from the passenger door, starting under the door handle, and extend along the leading edge of the fender onto the wheel well and end at the tip of the bumper.* so i guess i was misleading by saying i "clipped" a pilar.* anyway, there is a safety support beam that runs the lenth of the door aobut an inch or two above the side molding.* i managed to bend that.*

but yeah, any information on aftermarket doors would be great.* thanks for the swift replies and the help, or maybe lack there of.

-zach
[snapback]306859[/snapback]
Hey, I'm sorry. I wasn't ragging on you... just needed more info. Sorry that happened to you, that really sucks. I don't know anything about aftermarket doors, but I would suggest finding a regular one at a junk yard. You may have to call out of town to find what you're looking for, though.
[snapback]306891[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

thanks beachbunny. i didn't mean you specifically...i just think there are some members in here who feel they need to express to the world how they may be superior or something. for example that something is a stupid idea, without giving any consideration to some perhaps extenuating circumstances in which something would be beneficial to someone, but seem stupid to someone else. i just to feel it's necessary to in essence belittle someone by making them feel stupid.

ok, that's enough of that. i was looking through roundel magazine and found an advertisement on a das sport composite fiberglass door replacement through the cdoc.com that retails for $375. it's peaked my curiosity...as for looking for a used door, that'll be a little difficult. i live in hawaii, and finding used doors for cars even as popular as an e36 is tough. although we have the most vehicles per capita in that nation, we seem to be lacking in the e36 department. but i will definitely keep my eye open for one. thanks for the help! and if anyone knows about das sport products, let me know.

-zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)