BMW Werkz banner

New Cf Wing, Pics. Opinions Please.

3K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  JAX 
#1 ·
I know I'm going to get a lot of mixed opinions on this, probably mostly negative. I just bought this wing off someone locally and I'm installing it this weekend. Keep in mind I already have a CF hood.

Anyways, here is the wing installed on the guys car (NOT MY CAR!)

Please let me know your opinions.

I realize it might be a bit high and it'll take me a while to get use to. But I think from certain angles it works great.

Bry

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Never liked wings on a BMW...aerodynamically, they don't do anything...and I think they take away from the looks of the car...makes it look like crap (sorry), probably attracts more police who assume you're already guilty of something...and studies have shown that it really doesn't add 2" to your penis.

#7 ·
Thanks for your opinions, BUT, who says they don't do anything aerodynamically? With my current wing when I started going above 120km/h, I could already feel the air pushing down on the rear axels. Trust me, it does do something. Even those ridiculous looking T shaped aluminum wings do. It's called a "wing" because it's designed like an airplane wing, only it's inverted. So instead of the air pushing upwards, the air pushes down on the car. At any rate, does an airplane wing do anything aerodynamically? Now that that's settled... :D

I wasn't too sure about the wing either, it looks a bit chunky and I don't like how the ends kind of curl into the center.

Anyways, I've already bought it so there's no going back. My current ACS wing needs refnishing. Once I've done that I'm going to sell my old one. I'm just looking for something CF in the rear to match the front. I don't know though, I think it looks decent from almost every angle except the back. Plus aside from just the wings, there's nothing else in the rear that would make a BMW look distinctive. And that's really the whole point of modifying your car isn't it?

The wings like 3 lbs. So I don't actually save any weight. It's lighter than the old one by what, like 2 lbs? I could have done that wearing a thinner pair of socks! Trust me, my car makes me feel guilty everytime I get in it and drive with my clothes on. Theoretically I should drive naked to get the best possible power to weight ratio.

BTW, don't think I love attracting attention, because I don't. I usually modify a car only if it's functional. But anyways this time around I'd have to say I'm a ricer :)

Bry

#11 ·
Originally posted by frank3@Dec 16 2004, 01:21 PM
Never liked wings on a BMW...aerodynamically, they don't do anything...and I think they take away from the looks of the car...makes it look like crap (sorry), probably attracts more police who assume you're already guilty of something...and studies have shown that it really doesn't add 2" to your penis.
[snapback]252241[/snapback]​
:eek:uch is that your own private study Frank???? did u use ur "special ruler" to measure?
come back when u know what u r talking about. you sound like an idiot.

the wing looks a bit odd on the sides....but i do like ur old wing better....
but if u like it....who cares. its not the worst wing i have seen on a bimmer.
sell it to a kid w/a honda and buy the M3-GTR Cup spoiler. (well maybe part of it with that amount$$$$$$)

Mark

#12 ·
So it's not looking good, maybe only Buuhh thinks it looks decent.

Oh well, I'll just test fit it when I get it on the weekend, take pics again and repost this. Maybe it'll look better on my car. I don't really like how it looks either. What really drew me to it was that it was carbon fiber, that's it. If the damn thing was an inch higher, I would have passed for sure.

Thanks guys.

Bry

#14 ·
I think it looks good :thumbs

#15 ·
Yay, someone likes it!

I agree though, it looks funny from the back because it makes it look squared. From the side, it looks very touring carish.

Bry

#17 ·
You know there are a lot of really obxnoxious looking wings out there and that one doesn't look that bad at all, especially if it gives you an edge. Some wings are way too big, and some are too small. that one is right there in the middle. looks fine to me. That's my reasoning.

#22 ·
BTW you quoted 120km/h wat country are you from
He's from Ontario, Canada.

#26 ·
Ah good, leveled out with some positive feedback :)

Yep, I'm from Ontario Canada and I do track/auto-x. A wing would be completely useless for any kind of auto-x that BMWCC holds around here. But at the track, I'm sure it would make some sort of difference when you're cornering at those speeds. I do reach 120-140km/h+ when I corner sometimes, usually it'll be around 90-110km/h tops through most bends.

Kevin, I'm actually considering gutting my entire audio system. That means no head unit, no speakers, no nothing! I'll just bring a CD walkman if I want to listen to music, ghetto. I want to fill that space with gauges or maybe some sort of fuel management computer.

Anyways, to give you an idea of how serious I am about weight reduction.

Stock 318 - 2866lbs (325/328 3000lbs+)
My 318 - 2690lbs! and I haven't even taken out the rear seats or A/C!

Anyways, thank you guys for all your feedback, whether positive or negative, it makes me feel better knowing what people really think. My main concern was that it wasn't too high. I was afraid playing too much Need for Speed Undergound would have influenced me to go a bit ricey.

Dammit, I should have started a poll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.