New Car - Performance Q's - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well,

i have a blue '92 325is 5-speed with 95,000 miles comin my way in a week or two. My dad's out of the country on business and when he comes back, i'm dragging his butt down to sign the papers.

i've been cruising a few sites (and ebay) for some time and i've gathered a few questions.

1. I do like the stock sound of the '92 (i belive it has a diff. cat?) but i'm looking into a used m3 exhaust. They're rather cheap on ebay ... but what benefits do they give? do they increase performance hp wise? i'd assume maybe because the piping is larger? or is it just the smoother sound?

2. Has anyone ever heard of "fogging" a stock airbox? i found it here ... it is interesting reading, and i agree with some of the given "cons" of regular CIA's ... but is this just another ploy? or am i better de-baffling and dropping a k&n panel filter?

3. opinion question: i'm not sure i like the lic. plate holder on the front ... should i remove it and replace it w/ the strip (say, from bavauto) or buy one of the pretty, shiny plates w/ that beautiful roundel in the center?

4. (last one, promise) Is there really stock paint underneath of the grey of the sideskirts? the guy i'm buying the car from recomended a place that will custom match my paint and give me some spray cans. HE said it was an easy custom job. If i CAN just remove the grey can i personally paint the grey of the real, and maybe front bumpers?

sorry for stupid questions. i'm in love with cars ... not just bmw's ... cars, and i just love learning more about them ...

thanks

alex

<span style='color:blue'>1992 325is
I think i'm in love ...
&quot;Racing in a honda is like racing in the special olympics ... even if you win, you're still retarded.&quot;</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Neutral Member

Cary328is is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know too much about "fogging" but what I do know is that it is used in some of the 328s raced professionally in Touring Car championships. In fact, I think they take the fog light out and use that duct as another air intake.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
Quote:
Originally posted by ajames@Jun 4 2004, 05:55 PM
4. (last one, promise) Is there really stock paint underneath of the grey of the sideskirts? the guy i'm buying the car from recomended a place that will custom match my paint and give me some spray cans. HE said it was an easy custom job. If i CAN just remove the grey can i personally paint the grey of the real, and maybe front bumpers?
You'd have to paint the bumpers because they are just plastic and the grey is the color of them.

But removing the grey on the skirts will have the paint of the rest of the car under. But No clear coat so you may want to get some and then spray some CC on for protection and shine.

and welcome to the forum. post pics when you get yer ride.

2008 128i Jetblack
#4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:29 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
That link about "fogging" airbox is very ironic. In deciding how to upgrade my air induction system, I was thinking of adding a snorkel and attaching it to the brake inlet on the inside of my ///M3 bumper. That link confirms my suspicion that this would be a good idea. Thanks for link

And don't add one of those shiny plates. IMO opinion they are tacky. I would add the strip from bavauto or maybe even a german tag

#5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 12:30 AM

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Mine's got a snorkle from the brake duct, it's pretty decent. I haven't quite figured a way to make the last bend into the air box, right now it's just kinda shooing at it. But I moved my temp sensor into there, and if you let the car sit with the engine running it gets up to like 102, then yuo go drive and it gets down to about 85 80. This is on probably about a 72 or 75 degree day.

Kevin

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
#6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Mark31186 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mark31186 Send a message via Yahoo to Mark31186
Hey ajames! I also have a 92 325is . As far as exhaust goes... the stock wasnt bad sounding but i recently purchsed tri flo from www.bavauto.com and it added some low end tourque and hp along with sounding frieking amazing .

With the liscense plate issue that was the FIRST thing i did and i bought the $20 strip that makes it look so much damn cleaner

Next, the side skirts... Like 007 said... the bumpers are frieking plastic n which sucks but i just bought forever black from www.bavauto.com and it basically turned my side skirts, front bumper and the side of my rear bumper black. With my maroon color it looks nice... but with blue ummmm i would just get a body kit although this of course is very expensive

And intake... i bought the confortti intake with heat shield and it makes me very very happy hehe but there are tons of other options

-Mark

<span style='color:red'>- Conforti cold air intake
-Triflo exhaust
-Clear corners and tails
-Custom wheels
-Racing Dynamics stress bar
-UUC short shift kit
-Turnermotorsport Performance Chip
Soon to come - Zimmerman brakes, and suspension AND UMNITZA DDE IF I EVER GET THE GODDAMN MONEY </span>
#7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:52 AM
2nd Gear Member

docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
3. opinion question: i'm not sure i like the lic. plate holder on the front ... should i remove it and replace it w/ the strip (say, from bavauto) or buy one of the pretty, shiny plates w/ that beautiful roundel in the center?
Remember that Radar and Laser Radar Cops use your front license plate as a target because it is soooooo reflective. If you use a "shiny" chrome / mirrored plate, they will radar gun you into financial ruin...
#8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the help guys

i'll prob. go for the strip covering the plate holder as i don't need a front plate here in PA

then i'll most likely spend some time researching and make my own intake of some sort ... i can already imagine a few other things i'd like to do first before i go spenging $250-300 on one.

and i'll def. be posting some pics when i get my car and detail her. I suspect the car was driven by a women ... she wasn't pushed hard at all and the interior is still beautiful ... the paint however ... its got many swirls. I need to order some detailing supplies and clean her up! Ive been anxious to get some Einszett stuff and Klasse as well.

thanks for the help guys

alex

I think i'm in love ...
&quot;Racing in a honda is like racing in the special olympics ... even if you win, you're still retarded.&quot;</span>
#9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
oh, can someone still fill me in on what the big draw to oem m3 catbacks is? more hp? or smoother tone? or what?

I think i'm in love ...
#10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 09:31 PM

I think people have said better flow for a few HP and also a more mellow "soothing" sound. I find my stock '92 exaust to sound very nice, but around town in traffic it gets kinda noisy sometimes.

Kevin

Kevin (President TBEA)

#11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i def. agree man, the '92 stock exhaust does have a nice sound, but i'll have to see (when i finally get the car) what my tolerance of it is driving around town. I've seen a few used m3 systems on ebay for very cheap ... so who knows, maybe in the future i'll pick one up.

i also noticed you were looking at the Bavauto chip. The "send it back if you mod your car" thing is intruiging. Personally, i'd think that the chips would be *optimized* for people who AREN'T running bone stock except the chip. Other chips i've seen for cars (don't laugh, but volvo's are like this) are advertised by the manufacturer to be used in conjunciton w/ catback systems and intakes, etc.

i'll cross my fingers when i get some $$$ that i can maybe pick up a chip off of someone ... the only prob. is finding one for a non-vanos '92! i really like what i've read about the TMS/J. Conforti chip too

we'll have to exchange pics then

alex

I think i'm in love ...
#12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:03 PM

I've got to set aside money to get it eventually. I'll be out of school soon for the summer and getting more hours for work. But the first 800 dollars I get is going into suspension (bavauto springs, bilstein shocks, m3 sways w/tab mounts, replace all my bushings, rear shock mounts, ball joints, you get the idea)

The exaust gets looks from people, but I really noticed it today when I had a migraine and had to drive to work, it was painful.

Kevin

P.S. I've also got some paint work to do because of when I removed the rear badge, there's some sort of a reaction with the color coat and the reducer I used in the clear coat I sprayed on. So as long as I'm at it I'll paint up the bumpers. Should look nice.

Kevin

Kevin (President TBEA)

#13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
you gonna have that done, or attempt it yourself. the guy i'm gettin my 325is from was telling me about how he thinks its an easy DIY provided you get a good paint match

I think i'm in love ...
#14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 PM

Yes, I was going to do it myself. We've got a nice compressor/ spray gun combo. I normally do everything myself unless it's a really really big job like a new transmission or something to that effect.

Kevin

Kevin (President TBEA)

#15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah, being 17 and poor myself, i was planning on removing the grey from the sides to reveal my beautiful midnight blue paint ... and prime/paint/cc the bumpers

i like the look of the m3 front bumpers but can't justify spending that kinda money on SHOW when i really wanna spend it on some GO

i'll prob. just paint myself and later get a DTM front lip to add to the stock front bumper

I think i'm in love ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)