BMW Werkz banner

New Car - Few Problems, Any Help Appreciated.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Sagan 
#1 ·
This is the first time I've posted up here, and I'm going to sound like a complete dumbass, but, oh well.
I recently bought a 1995 black on black 325iS. Everything was great with the car until about a week into it when the ABS and the Traction Control light came on and will not go out. It is also giving of a horrid rotten egg smell, it is on its original exhaust though, other topics addressed this, I'm just making sure.
Also, somebody has slammed my passenger seat back, and now I think the spring has been thrown from within the seat.
All in all, what I need to know is, how do I fix, or the possible causes of:
ABS Light and Traction Light.
Rotten Egg/ Sulphur Smell.
Non-releasing Seat

Any help what so ever is appreciated.

#2 ·
Go by a BMW technican and have him read you a code for the ABS/DSC warning this will give you more insight as to the problem

The rotten egg smell is undoubtedly the catalytic converter. Give it a chance to go away, if it becomes consistent you must replace.

As for the seat, Im not sure, maybe i can search around the net for a diagram. Give us some more info on the specifics of the seat issue so we can better diagnose.

BTW, dont let this trouble you....you bought an awesome car if i may say so myself :bravo

#3 ·
If you live near an AutoZone or some other similar store, they can check your OBDII for you for free. One thing to watch out for is the BMW classic, "Maunfacturer Code." In other words, you won't be able to find out the exact problem from AutoZone. You can use this though....

Oxygen Sensor Monitoring for the M52 engine only.

P0130 - O2 Sensor Circuit (bank 1, sensor 1)
P0150 - O2 sensor circuit (bank 2, sensor 1)
P0136 - O2 sensor circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
P0156 - O2 sensor circuit (bank 2, sensor 2)
P0134 - 02 sensor circuit (bank 1, sensor 1) open
P0154 - O2 sensor circuit (bank 2, senso 1) open

Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit for the M52 engine only.

P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 1)
P0150 - O2 Sensor heater circuit (bank 2, sensor 1)
P0141 - 02 sensor heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
P0161 - O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 2, sensor 2)
P1186 - O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
P1187 - O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 2, sensor 2)

Switch and response time monitoring for M52 engine only.

P1178 - O2 switch time (bank 1, sensor 1)
P1179 - O2 switch time (bank 2, sensor 1)
P0133 - O2 sensor control frequency (bank 1, sensor 1)
P0153 - O2 sensor control frequency (bank 2, sensor 1)

Catalyst Monitoring for M52 engine only.

P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Bank 1
P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency Bank 2

Misfire detection Faults

P0301 - Misfire Cylinder 1
P0302 - Misfire Cylinder 2
P0303 - Misfire Cylinder 3
P0304 - Misfire Cylinder 4
P0305 - Misfire Cylinder 5
P0306 - Misfire Cylinder 6

Evaporative System Monitoring for M52 TLEV Vacuum type only.

P0440 - Purge Function Plausibility
P0442 - Small leak detected
P0441 - no purge flow detected
P0446 - shut off valve stuck closed
P0445 - Large leak detected
P0440 - Purge valve stuck open
P0451 - fuel tank pressure sensor range and performance
P1403 - Evap Canister shut off valve and circuit
P0443 - Purge valve and circuit.

Secondary Air Injection Monitoring for M52 engines only.

P1453 - Secondary air pump electric pump.
P0412 - Secondary switching valve.
P1423 - Secondary air injection system bank 1
P1424 - secondary air injection system bank 2

Fuel System Monitoring for M52 engines only.

P1188 - Mixture deviation cylinder 1-3
P1189 - Mixture deviation cylinder 4-6

#4 ·
Hey, thanks for the help. Definetly going to go check that out, really don't want to pay out the ass for it though.
The smell has been there for a while, so it is gonna be the cat. It is the original, you guys know where to get the full replacement exhaust with chrome tips for fairly inexpensive price?
And jllphan, I saw your car up on Cardomain before I even bought this car, and I've definetly gotta say, VERY well done. :clap2
I did see that you removed that damn grey from the side skirts and bumper. How much that cost you to get removed/painted?
Inevitably this is what i want done:

#6 ·
Yeah, the stock would be nice, actually hoped to get a "throatier" sound out of the engine, it is a v-6 it should sound like it has power. Too bad they're that damn expensive. Thanks though.

#8 ·
If you dont want to shell out the cash (not that you dont :) for an aftermarket exhaust, (www.bavauto.com is a good indication as to what's available as far as that goes) if you want a VERY nice sound, you can put on a cold air intake, that will not only boost HP, it'll give you that delicious sound your looking for.

#9 ·
Hey, thanks, and I knew it was an I-6... I just haven't been thinking. I've got 4 other cars that are all V's. Yeah.. I'm an idiot. :thud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.