Need your help or opinions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bengali86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Bengali86
(Thread Starter)
Hey all~ well heres the scoop, i bought this car last october, knowing it had small detonation issue when putting a load on it while in low RPMs (bought it cuz my mechanic said the Diagnostic said Knocksensor 2 was down, i replaced it)

Well my car still has detonation, I had Both Knock sensor replaced, Change my spark plugs and valve cover gasket, cleaned the oil out of Cylinder 6 spark plug chamber, Took out my ACS chip and replaced it back with a stock chip, no change, put back in the ACS chip... the only other cause i can think of is this..

The guy who had the car before me replace the cats, from the down pipes to the pipes going into the muffler, he replaced them with 2inch pipe instead of the 2 1/2inch stock size pipe (larger pipe in the muffler 2 3/4inches) so from the headers to the muffler, the pipe is alot smaller than it should be, the pipe is in the larger pipe with the gap around the pipe weilded (like a 1 inch weild filling the gap... My question being, could a restricted exhaust be causing the small detonation? too much back pressure? robbing the power it needs to not detonate?

sorry so long, but i am at the end of my rope, this is driving me crazy ghead ghead ghead

thank you for reading
Ben

1993 e36 325is
AC Schnitzer Exhaust
AC Schnitzer type I full body kit
AC Schnitzer chip
A monkey in the trunk (stock)
Dual V-Tec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead ghead

1993 e36 325is
AC Schnitzer Exhaust
AC Schnitzer chip
Dual V-Tec
#3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
No, I don't think that would be your problem. Too much back pressure would probably be more noticeable at higher rpms.

My car kinda stutters or something when it's at low rpms and you floor the gas, I wish I knew what it was, no fault codes. I figure the car is just finicky.

Kevin

Kevin (President TBEA)

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
#4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:12 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Hey Kevin, what kinda shape is your cat in? If its a hot day, and you "drive" the car, do you get that egg stank?

I ask because ever since I started f@#king with my plugs, I have noticed a tiny little hicup every 10 seconds or so. I also have a similar studer. At first I thougt the plugs were just finicky, but I have now spent an inordinate amount of coinage on plugs, installed them with the precision of a surgeon, and inspected my coils and leads with the accuracy of a Sweedish female police oficer giving a strip search. After such over doing, I think the plug change is just coincidence. My cat is goin, and I think the restriction it causes is intern the reason for my hicup and the same studering at 2000-2600RPM you speak of.

IF your cat is brand new, I guess I just waisted 37 seconds of your time

BTW Bengali, this could also be your causal if you mean hesitation when you say lack of detonation, eventhough I consider that a bad work not to be talked about. Not the cats. but the lack of air flow due to the smaller pipes....

#5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 03:57 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
They look like they're in fairly decent shape. It's only at lower rpms though, when I let the engine wind up it's fine. There's so smell.

Actually I think it sounds retarded to think that I'm trying to accelerate at such low rpms (like 1500 is where it does it) Maybe it's something to do wtih my guibo, and that stutter is the busted off parts getting caught on the output shaft?

You think it might be caused by my shitty belts? They're cracked to hell, but I think that's the reason for my messed up power steering.

Kevin

Kevin (President TBEA)

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
#6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jun 2 2004, 01:52 AM
Hey Kevin, what kinda shape is your cat in? If its a hot day, and you "drive" the car, do you get that egg stank?

I ask because ever since I started f@#king with my plugs, I have noticed a tiny little hicup every 10 seconds or so. I also have a similar studer. At first I thougt the plugs were just finicky, but I have now spent an inordinate amount of coinage on plugs, installed them with the precision of a surgeon, and inspected my coils and leads with the accuracy of a Sweedish female police oficer giving a strip search. After such over doing, I think the plug change is just coincidence. My cat is goin, and I think the restriction it causes is intern the reason for my hicup and the same studering at 2000-2600RPM you speak of.

IF your cat is brand new, I guess I just waisted 37 seconds of your time

BTW Bengali, this could also be your causal if you mean hesitation when you say lack of detonation, eventhough I consider that a bad work not to be talked about. Not the cats. but the lack of air flow due to the smaller pipes....
Thanks for your replies

but i dont understand what you mean by "this could also be your causal if you mean hesitation when you say lack of detonation"

I do not have a lack of, I have some detonation (not in the chamber but the clickity-clackity sound when at low RPMs) even when it is not bogged down...

The car runs a little hot (needle is a hair over the center line)
the cat vibrates right when the detonation sound happens.

the pipe is a decent size smaller than to other pipe size too..

ghead

1993 e36 325is
AC Schnitzer Exhaust
AC Schnitzer chip
Dual V-Tec
#7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:10 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry Ben, I misunderstood ya. That is a vexing situation. You don't get any error codes when attached to the umbililcal cord at your tech's shop?

#8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jun 2 2004, 11:50 PM
Sorry Ben, I misunderstood ya. That is a vexing situation. You don't get any error codes when attached to the umbililcal cord at your tech's shop?

when we hooked it up, the only error code was for the Knock sensor (#2) we replaced both knock sensors
the timing is self adjusting right? could it be the VANOS unit? or is there a way to adjust the timing manualy?
thats why i keep going back to thinking it is the restricted exhaust

1993 e36 325is
AC Schnitzer Exhaust
AC Schnitzer chip
Dual V-Tec
#9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
So i found a caddy place that will give me straight pipes from the headers all the way back to the muffler... I hope this will work it out, I will let you guys know

also, what is vexing?

1993 e36 325is
AC Schnitzer Exhaust
AC Schnitzer chip
Dual V-Tec
#10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 10:45 AM
WOT in Reverse

To my knowledge the vanos cannot be adjusted manually.

Hope the pipes relieve the back pressure, just make sure they cut the pipes the right size, as too big is worse than too small.

Vexing= difficult, arduous, problematic

#11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jun 4 2004, 06:25 PM
And what about electronically adjustment?

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jun 4 2004, 11:25 AM

Hope the pipes relieve the back pressure, just make sure they cut the pipes the right size, as too big is worse than too small.

Vexing= difficult, arduous, problematic
ok, thanks for the info, I am going to stay with the size of the pipes going from my muffler, i believe it is 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inches... not sure

and thanks for the explination of Vexing lol i was freaking out a bit

1993 e36 325is
AC Schnitzer Exhaust
AC Schnitzer chip
Dual V-Tec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)