Need some help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2004, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
john_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Had my car parked on campus one night and came out to go up town. When i got to my car someting didnt quite look right. I later found that something had backed into the front bumper of my BMW- hard enough to slice the corner of my license plate ghead I was extremely pissed off. Got in the car to drive and it drove fine- no cosmetic damage to the paint or anything else. A day later the air bag light came on and to this day will not go off. I looked in the manual and it says to take it to BMW b/c my airbag may not deploy if i were to be in a accident. This happened to my other friend and he said that BMW put in a new air bag. Do you all know of anyways that i could fix this with out having to take it to BMW? I really cant afford to fix this right now . Please help.!
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
i wouldnt mess with it... jsut take it to the dealer... is it still under waranty?
Old 05-30-2004, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 2002 X5 3.0i and 2007 X5 3.0i
Photos:
TeeUp is an unknown quantity at this point
same here....

i think replacing the airbag is not necessarily the only option in your case. the problem may just be electrical and you can save the airbag.

go to the dealer and ask for their opinion. tell them offhand that you are not ready to replace the airbag and you need to know if the problem may just be electrical in nature (which should cost a lot less than getting a new airbag).
TeeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Cary328is is an unknown quantity at this point
You can take it to the dealer and have them diagnose the airbag light with their tool. Usually, that is caused by a defective seatbelt switch. I had to pay the dealership $18 to reset the airbag light and replace the switch. It wasn't a big deal, but I think that a worthwhile investment is to buy a Peake research tool for your BMW. It will provide you with codes that tell you exactly what is going on with your warning lights before you take it into the dealership and have them try to rip you off. There are 2 types of main reset tools. One is the oil change/check engine light reset tool and the other is the airbag reset tool.
Cary328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely invest in the reset tool. My airbag light came on once. There are a great number of things that will turn that light on. In my case, the fault was with the passenger side Belt Tensioner. Simple fix.
Fadec40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ladydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. Searched the forum for exactly this reason .... air bag light issues. I am from small town Saskatchewan, Canada - any ideas where I could start looking to purchase a PEAKE Research tool? I have my 1994 318IS for sale and it won't pass the safety test with the light on. Really don't want to spend any $ on the car as I'm selling it. Ideas?
ladydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
hi Ladydriver! Here's a start for the tool. It's well worth the investment!
You can also search EBAY for a used or new tool as well.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_SRS_Airbag_reset_tool.htm

Also, before you buy a tool, go the Motor Vehicle Department of your locale or its website and look for EXACTLY what is to be inspected. In my state, it is basically, emissions, tires, brakes, lights but nothing on the airbag light. The concern is faulty equipment that can cause accidents and harm to others and environmental issues as well as your safety.
Fadec40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)